P0172 code bank 1 too rich - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
P0172 code bank 1 too rich
Friday, July 17, 2015 10:09 PM
Well after i got the misfire problem fixed i have ran into another problem. Sitting in a drive thru my car all of a sudden jumped up in rpm to 900 for about a min and kicked the engine light on then went back down to normal 650 but the light stayed on and i started getting crappy MPG again. After i got home i took the IAC valve off and it was black as midnight so i cleaned it real good and cleaned the MAP sensor port good, started it up and it idled rough as hell till i went down the road about 45 or so then it smoothed back out. I still need to pick up a fuel pressure gauge kit to rule out the fuel system but i took the vacuum line off the regulator and no fuel was in the line or coming out of the regulator, i even let it idle for 5 min without the line just to make sure it wasn't leaking. The fuel pump went out about a year ago so i changed it and the filter though i got the pump off of ebay so.... not sure about the quality. It also runs good when cold like it used to so i know it is nothing mechanical, but the rich condition is making it run like crap once warm. Gonna check for vacuum leaks around the manifold and lines with carb cleaner in the morning just to make sure its not a vacuum leak. I am an experienced backyard mechanic but would like some input from others.

Re: P0172 code bank 1 too rich
Saturday, July 18, 2015 3:25 PM
Just got done checking a lot of things after work. IAC valve and MAP sensor tested good. Still haven't checked the fuel pressure but i don't suspect it anyways. Got to the TPS and some weird things started happening. I tested it before work when it was cold and it tested fine but after it was hot it started giving some mixed signals. Checking ohms and not the volts, which is the same thing only safer, when i kept the throttle open about 5-10% the signal would hold steady but slowly start to drop then go back up which is consistent with the way the throttle has been acting. I took the TPS off and got a screwdriver and rotated the potentiometer back and forth rapidly, like pressing the gas peddle rapidly, trying to clean it off cause it sounded like there was grit inside of it, put it back on and it ran much better, even started shifting correctly again. Crazy how a little sensor can cause so much grief.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search