Loud thud in front left of car - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Loud thud in front left of car
Wednesday, July 29, 2015 5:56 PM
My 5 speed cavalier makes a loud thud when I accelerate. It also does it if I let the clutch out too fast, it seems to only happen once until I stop again. My front transmission mount doesn't look too good and I know my tie rod ends are bad but I doubt they could be so loud. The only other thing I could think of is sway bar bushings. It sounds like something is gonna beeak. I can keep it from happening if accelerate very slowly, what do you guys and gals think? I have done research but Noone seems to have this issue.

Re: Loud thud in front left of car
Wednesday, July 29, 2015 9:11 PM
I would suggest either a front cv joint going bad OR wheel bearing failing.Some simple checks are jack up the front end and remove both wheels,and be SAFE level ground,ebrake on and chock your rear wheels.Now look at your cv boots for cracks and or leaking grease out of the boot's.Next try with your hands on the rotor one at left side one on the right and try to push or pull the rotor left to right and up or down.IF you have any slop your wheel bearing could be failing.Next is easy,car in Neutral rotate each rotor and see if you Feel and lag or clunk feel in the cv joint itself as you rotate the rotor by hand.Check each side as based on the information you provided one or both of these items could be your issue.You did not list your mileage which also can help but not necessary to give a better assessment of wear on certain components.I would not rule out other factors as mounts for the transmission or engine but this should be sufficient to help you assess what could be going bad before your sol.The checks should take no more than 30 minute's at most.

Re: Loud thud in front left of car
Wednesday, July 29, 2015 11:03 PM
You would be surprised how loud things can be. U already know what needs to be replaced so start there

ReD RaiN
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search