rattle - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
rattle
Wednesday, August 05, 2015 10:11 AM

OK. I know this has been discussed in a load of threads over the years, but I still can't find the answers I am looking for, so please forgive me for bringing it up again. For all I know it might not be the same rattle anyway.

This is a specific question about MANUAL transmission rattle in a 2001 Cavalier 5-speed 2.2 engine 192K.....

I have noticed what I thought was the same rattling noise from the time I bought the car in 2001, but it was a long time ago that I last heard it and as of the last couple of weeks, for some reason it has just not only returned, but is now completely insane in how loud it is. No other variables that I am aware of have change to coincide with the noise so I am puzzled.

It is loudest / worst / most noticeable in second gear but also a little in first. Happens only when in gear never in neutral. Never at high rpms. It sounds like someone put 100 marbles into a huge metal trash can and shook the hell out of it.

I just spent $1000 6 months ago to have the original clutch replaced. No other problems besides this noise that just started.

I've read all about the GETRAG rattle and various things about fluid fixing it or not fixing it, but not on a manual tranny.....

So my questions are: First - how am I suppose to add/change the transmission fluid in a 2001 5-speed manual Cavalier with no dip-stick, just the red weird screw-on cap on the top of the transmission? I have always wondered about that, but kept being told that it never needed to be done if it wasn't leaking (which it hasn't and isn't).

Second - is what I described in fact the getrag rattle and will adding fluid help it?

Thanks

Re: rattle
Wednesday, August 05, 2015 1:01 PM
I also experience a rattle, the exact way you described it mainly in 1st and 2nd. Although if the rpms drop below around 2k I can hear it in ever gear. I seem to think that the car doesn't do it as badly when the car is cold? It kinda seems that the noise is worse when fully warmed up, which leads me to think that the cat could possibly be the issue?

Wednesday, August 05, 2015 1:40 PM
"I've read all about the GETRAG rattle and various things about fluid fixing it or not fixing it, but not on a manual tranny....."

The getrag in these cars IS a manual. f23. Fluid helps from what i have read.

There is a hex plug near the red cap on the trans that is the actual fill hole. the red cap is a vent for filling. The drain is near the differential on the bottom (forget which side).

its something with the 3d gear on it that rattles. I looked into it before too cause i thought i needed a new trans and it turned out that its common.

mine rattled, but never really that loudly. It really only did it when there was a high load low rpm situation. I abused that transmission and it had like cheap dex3 in it and the noise didnt get worse and the thing held up against every ounce of power i put threw it for like 75k miles

If the fluid you take out is not full of metal and you can overlook the rattle; id put good fluid back in it and not worry about it, specially for a dd.

Just my $.02 though.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Saturday, August 08, 2015 2:27 PM
Well when i changed the slave cylinder in my 99 cavalier I noticed that the slave cylinder was only held on by a flimsy push clip. And that the one i took off was not even tight. Does the rattle stop when you push the clutch down?
Monday, August 10, 2015 6:43 AM

The rattle never ever happens when the clutch pedal is depressed. Only when in gear. It is the absolute worst when downshifting into 2nd from 3rd (once in 2nd), but also happens a bit in first and third - at least that I can hear. It might happen all the time, but with higher speeds and louder road/wind noise, it might get drowned out. This is definitely not lugging or being in too high a gear either - totally different sound and that seems to have little connection to the rattle. I've heard this rattle as high as 3K rpm in 2nd.
Thursday, August 13, 2015 10:31 PM
Yeah, well when the slave cylinder is just free floating from the clip falling off. Then it is just going to keep rattling off the friction disk forks. So higher rpm would cause it to rattle faster.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search