Quad 4 cooling fan not working - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Quad 4 cooling fan not working
Monday, August 10, 2015 1:48 PM
Hey all, long time lurker who has decided to make an account. I'm very familiar with cars, as I've been working and wrenching on multiple supra's and older style cars for years now. I got this 95 sunfire for my "first car" last July.Body is perfect, no rust in any of the usual spots or in the frame. But I have been having a persistent problem I've been trying to fix with no luck. The cooling fan does not work on it, at all. So far I've replaced the thermostat and the housing, which did not fix it. I had it at a family friends of mine, who is a mechanic, and he says he got the fan to work via one of his electrical tools but it will not kick on by it self. Could it be the ECT sensor? I read that if you unplug it and the fan comes on then it is bad. Where would it be located on the Quad 4? Thanks for all your help! And sorry for the wall of text

Re: Quad 4 cooling fan not working
Thursday, August 13, 2015 10:47 PM
Id make sure the fan works properly. Take it out, or get a spare plug from a local wrecker. Hook the fan right up to the battery and see if it spins full speed.
I've seen many of these fans not even come on with direct power. Also, make sure it starts up right away with power. Like take the power on and off really fast and make sure it starts every time right away. My old one would turn on eventually but only after a few times, which kept causing the fuse to blow.
Next thing is to check the giant fuse in the engine bay. If it is blown then you know the fan is shorted out inside or wiring somewhere else. If it is not blown, then the fan could still be screwed.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search