2.2 Ecotec Thermostat Location - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.2 Ecotec Thermostat Location
Friday, October 02, 2009 4:34 PM
I picked up fresh coolant and a new Thermostat for my 2004 Cavy with the 2.2 Ecotec motor. The only thing is I really don't know exactly where the Stat location is on this car?

Someone told me it is located towards the bottom area of the motor on the passenger side? I see some silver metal coolant tube I think. Is the Thermostat located in that assembly there? I just don't want to start taking the wrong things apart and not find the thermostat.

A picture with an arrow pointing to the spot would be great!

2000 Buick Regal GSE - "Gods Grocery Getter is powered by an L67 3800" - 333WHP
12.900 @ 109.91mph 2.166 60Ft (Fastest 1/4)
13.374 @ 110.01mph 2.467 60Ft (Fastest Trap)

2004 Chevy Cavalier - 15.7 @ 90mph (Semi-Modded)

Re: 2.2 Ecotec Thermostat Location
Friday, October 02, 2009 4:50 PM
firewall side near the driver end.

you can see the coolant tube here...

this is the firewall side of the engine.

left of the picture would be driver side, right of the picture would be passenger side.

the thicker part of the squiggly tube... take out the two 10mm bolts. then twist and pull the tube out of the water pump and the thermostat is right there.
when you drain the coolant, take off the fill cap on the reservoir.
there's a petcock on the bottom of the radiator on the driver side facing forward, put a tube on it into a container, and turn the plastic knob.
when thats finished draining close the petcock, then underneath the water pump is a 13mm bolt that drains the coolant in the engine. you can see the water pump in the right side of the picture.. theres a bolt on the very bottom of it that will let you drain a majority of the remaining coolant so you don't have any nasty spills/ messes.

good luck.

Saturday, October 03, 2009 8:28 AM
DaFlyinSkwir(LS61) /PJ/ OEM+ wrote:firewall side near the driver end.

you can see the coolant tube here...

this is the firewall side of the engine.

left of the picture would be driver side, right of the picture would be passenger side.

the thicker part of the squiggly tube... take out the two 10mm bolts. then twist and pull the tube out of the water pump and the thermostat is right there.
when you drain the coolant, take off the fill cap on the reservoir.
there's a petcock on the bottom of the radiator on the driver side facing forward, put a tube on it into a container, and turn the plastic knob.
when thats finished draining close the petcock, then underneath the water pump is a 13mm bolt that drains the coolant in the engine. you can see the water pump in the right side of the picture.. theres a bolt on the very bottom of it that will let you drain a majority of the remaining coolant so you don't have any nasty spills/ messes.

good luck.

Thanks a lot for the reply. So that tube on the water pump side just slides right out? I don't have to take any bolts off the water pump side in order for that tube to come out?

2000 Buick Regal GSE - "Gods Grocery Getter is powered by an L67 3800" - 333WHP
12.900 @ 109.91mph 2.166 60Ft (Fastest 1/4)
13.374 @ 110.01mph 2.467 60Ft (Fastest Trap)

2004 Chevy Cavalier - 15.7 @ 90mph (Semi-Modded)
Wednesday, October 07, 2009 1:17 PM
thats correct. it has an o-ring that seats it nicely inside the water pump, but once you remove the bolts on the thermo housing, the pipe should ease out with some force and rotation.

when putting it back in, if you have trouble, lube the o-ring up with a little bit of oil to get it to slide in easier.

there's also a tab that slides into a slot on the waterpump housing, just make sure thats lined up so you can get the pipe in place.. its hard to mess it up because the thermo housing part only lines up one way, which also happens to put the tab in the right spot.

sorry for the delayed reply

Sunday, June 13, 2010 10:13 AM
I recently went through the fun experience of changing the thermostat in my 2003 Cavalier (ecotec, manual). The info in this thread helped out.
I would like to share some additional info that may help someone in the future who is changing their thermostat.

The Slant thermostat (Part No 14698) from Advance Auto Parts is too tall and will not allow the pipe to slide back on. DO NOT BUY THIS THERMOSTAT!

I took it back the Slant one and went to Auto Zone and got a Duralast thermostat (Part No 4698) and it fits as it should.

Hope this helps! Also I attached the original thermostat location image with a nice big arrow to indicate where it is.

Monday, January 17, 2011 5:02 PM
This is a question about something in the same area dealing with the water pump. How did you prevent the bolts from falling down when you take them loose from the sprocket inside the timing cover and having to pull the cover off ?
Monday, January 17, 2011 6:05 PM
Adam wrote:I recently went through the fun experience of changing the thermostat in my 2003 Cavalier (ecotec, manual). The info in this thread helped out.
I would like to share some additional info that may help someone in the future who is changing their thermostat.

The Slant thermostat (Part No 14698) from Advance Auto Parts is too tall and will not allow the pipe to slide back on. DO NOT BUY THIS THERMOSTAT!

I took it back the Slant one and went to Auto Zone and got a Duralast thermostat (Part No 4698) and it fits as it should.

Hope this helps! Also I attached the original thermostat location image with a nice big arrow to indicate where it is.
bought it and switched it out and returned

Both of those t-stats are the same Stant parts. The one from advance must of got boxed wrong or someone bought it and switched it out and returned it with the different one in the box.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 4:47 PM
i got where thermostat is at but want to know how do u get the top bolt one my 2004 cav???
Wednesday, March 16, 2011 2:21 PM
jeff zobka wrote:i got where thermostat is at but want to know how do u get the top bolt one my 2004 cav???

I have read that you will have to take off the manifold (or header if you have one), to get to it.

Save your money. It might be worth something someday.

Sunday, August 28, 2011 4:39 PM
He is right. I got the wrong size thermostat from Advance. Stat Same thing at Oriellys. Murray
Autozone duralast matched nicely.
Tuesday, August 30, 2011 1:47 PM
You have to be kidding me...GM made a $4 replacement part only acceible by removing the EXHAUST HEADER? wow. WTF are these people thinking. T Stats should be a 5min job like on my Camaros or ANY other car Ive owned out of 16!

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 7:32 AM
Is there a way to replace the thermostat without removing the header?
Wednesday, December 21, 2011 7:26 PM
Brian Ogle wrote:Is there a way to replace the thermostat without removing the header?

Yeah, take off the heat shield and you should have enough room.

13.3 @ 106 mph Cammed
Wednesday, December 21, 2011 7:36 PM
I've did mine few times when I had a cooling problem w/o removing the header. I don't think I even took the tube all the way out, and watch how everything comes out so you put it back the same way, easy to get turned around.

Thursday, December 22, 2011 1:37 PM
Yes, this does help and thank you. Can anyone tell me where the bleed valve is on the 2.2L??? I just can't seem it locate it and I'm not going to do a coolant flush without knowing where the valve is at. Thanks. Oh, and on a totally unrelated topic...does anyone know the EXACT size of the 4 bolts that hold down the ignition control module and the ignition coils (the eco-tec plate cover you have to remove to get to the spark plugs)??? Thanks again.
Tuesday, February 21, 2012 7:08 PM
I need help replaced thermostat on my 2004 cavalier 2.2L engine. the haynes manual instructs me to put the thermostat spring in first. But, I have seen some that the head goes in first with the spring facing to the right. Does anyone have a picture or can tell me which is the right way to put the thermostat in. I thought i recalled it but I am having problems with over boiling of the coolant in the reservoir. any ideas.
Thursday, February 23, 2012 6:05 AM
I would think because of the water tube it would only go in one way.....

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 2:48 PM
Do you have to take the exhaust manifold off, or is there a way around that part?
Thursday, August 01, 2013 1:57 PM
It looks to be the same t-stat housing/location as the 4 spd auto.
Wednesday, September 04, 2013 2:42 PM
Bradley Johnson wrote:Do you have to take the exhaust manifold off, or is there a way around that part?

The service manual says that the manifold needs to be removed only on cars with automatic transmission.

Peter
Wednesday, April 22, 2015 1:24 PM
Brian Ogle wrote:Is there a way to replace the thermostat without removing the header?

Yes you can do it with out removing the manifold I just done one of these with an automatic. You have to remove the heat shield form the manifold and the O2 sensor remove the 2 bolts and then turn the pipe counter clockwise and down out of the way. You need a good ratchet wrench to get the top bolt.

Saturday, August 15, 2015 6:53 PM
Does anyone know which way the thermostat goes in. I seen a diagram that showed the spring facing the water pump, however now my temp in the car is going into the red.. I did get a thermostat from auto zone 4698. But would you think that the spring goes into the housing? If anyone has any info PLEASE help.. Thanks...
Saturday, December 10, 2016 2:53 PM
This seems obvious to me, but did you try putting one of those collapsible magnets next to it as you remove it? Should keep it from falling down.
Monday, January 06, 2020 11:39 AM
I managed to get to the thermostat but it and the plast sleeve are both stuck in the housing. How do I get them out?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search