2.2 Ecotec cranks No Start No Spark - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.2 Ecotec cranks No Start No Spark
Saturday, August 29, 2015 4:25 PM
OK. So my wife owns a 2003 oldsmobile alero 2.2L Ecotec 4 cylinder.
We went to walmart to buy some water for Tropical storm Erika 2 days ago. Went in. Got the Water, Walked out and BAM NO START. Tried Jumping it with a V8 Truck and still nothing. So got it Pulled home.
First thing i went over is ok, Engine needs, Fuel, Spark, Air, Compression to start. So i checked for compression. Was thinking the timing chain possibly broke reading some forums. I hear the engine turning over and i feel the suction from the throttle body so i know its turning. 2nd was air. Checked my filter, Removed the filter and the mass air flow box still nothing. ok... I hear the Pump turn on but that doesnt mean theres enough pressure. So for giggles i rook off the air box and sprayed starter fluid directly into the throttle body and still nothing, so i ruled out the fuel pressure. So i removed the ICM nd the cover to gain access to all 4 spark plugs. Removed all 4 and put them in the boots. Grounded them by laying them on the engine head and cranked.. NO SPARK.. ok...

So if the battery was weak it would of turned over when i jumped it.. So i can rule that out so far. ok. Checked all the fuses and nothing. There are no relays to my ignition system what so ever under the hood. So i ruled out fuses. Now im down to 2 things. Crank shaft position sensor and the ICM( There is a timing chain in this engine so im told there is no Cam position sensor). Well i know if the crank shaft sensor is bad its not gonna tell the computer to send spark. So i replaced the Crank shaft position sensor and still nothing. ok.. Now i have to determin if its my ICM

This is what i need help with. There are 5 wires on the clip that plugs into my ICM(coil box). There is a Pink, Black, Brown, oRange and white(maybe yellow cant tell). So far i determined that the pink is the constant power and the black is the ground. Im assuming that the white and orange wire is the wires that send signal to the spark plugs im not sure. brown wire i have no idea, maybe my crank shaft sensor. If you can tell me waht those 3 wires are for that would be awesome. Im trying to determine if my ICM is even getting signal to send a charge to the spark plug. If i am right that the orange and white is for the signal What voltage should it be sending while i crank over the motor. ALSO, if those signls are correct what readings am i looking for AFTER the ICM on those pins that are underneath?

Re: 2.2 Ecotec cranks No Start No Spark
Saturday, August 29, 2015 4:28 PM
I have not been getting this error code for the last 2 days it has been broken. I am infact getting a code now that is P0452 which for a GM IS Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor Circuit Low Input Conditions.
Now as far as my knowledge that sensor just detects pressure so it can release pressure through a filter. Can that cause this vehicle to have NO SPARK? Wouldnt i of bypassed the filter by spraying starter fluid directly into the throttle boddy if it was fuel pressure?
Sunday, August 30, 2015 5:00 PM
White is IC Timing, Orange is IG Timing B, and Brown/white is camshaft position signal. It's going to be kind of difficult to measure an output on those though, they are a digital signal, unless you have an oscilloscope or scan tool. I would check fuel pressure with a gauge to be sure, but yeah you already bypassed the fueling issue by spraying starting fluid into the intake.
Wednesday, September 02, 2015 9:01 PM
Yeah, my ICM decided to just die one day, drove to work perfectly fine. Came out at the end of the day and bam, no start. Eventually it did fire but only working 1 coil. Fked my cat up and probably didnt help the engine much.
MAke sure you put dielectric grease in the plug for the ICM. Any water will destroy it over time.
Sunday, March 13, 2016 4:36 PM
Did you ever get this figured out? I'm having the same problem.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search