ecotec got kinda warm - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ecotec got kinda warm
Thursday, September 10, 2015 4:35 PM
Hey guys i was letting my car idle yesterday while i was in the store. My wife and baby girl were in the car and the air was on. when i came out the air wasnt blowing cold and the car was at about 230 240. i imeadantly started driving to get air flowing threw the rad and it cooled back down to operating timp. i know that the car being hot can cause the condencer to heat up thus makeing the air not cold but what caused the car to get hot in the first place? it is full of coolent and the rad and condencer are both clean. i am thinking water pump but wasnt sure if there would be other sighns of it being bad like a leak or somthing. i just want to get some other opinions befor i go to buying parts. Thanks in advance guys
-Hunter

Re: ecotec got kinda warm
Thursday, September 10, 2015 7:27 PM
Jbody fan isn't the best for idling. Depending on the outside temp they can overheat pretty easily. If it's running fine now that's probably the issue or your fan is not turning on. I would check to see if the fan is turning on with the ac. Your thermostat could be sticking or if your water pump is stock it may have the plastic impeller that tend to break.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Thursday, September 10, 2015 10:59 PM
Same issue here for 3 years...non eco tho. Changed thermostat, water pump, flushed coolant and added new, fans come on and only over heats at idle. U can also turn ur heat on to expell air but let me tell u that sucks when its 40 degree weather. Hopefully someone else can input to help us

ReD RaiN
Saturday, September 12, 2015 7:29 AM
Alright Thanks ill look into a better fan maby even upgrading to two. and yea im sure it is the original pump so ill probly go ahead and change that as well thanks again!
Saturday, September 12, 2015 6:32 PM
If your doing the water pump you need a timing chain holding tool or replace your timing chain.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search