97 Cavalier Stalling when I stop and park at work - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
97 Cavalier Stalling when I stop and park at work
Wednesday, July 17, 2013 6:30 AM
Ok, quick story... 97 cavalier 2 door 2.2L, bought new by my wife, sat in garage the last three years with a bad Cyl #2 missfire. Changed plugs, wires, coils, ignitor and #2 injector. The other three injectors and fuel pressure regulator where changed befor the car got parked with the bad missfire. We removed and cleaned the upper intake and throttle body when we did the injector inspection (the rest appeared ok) and replaced a very destroyed upper intake gasket that the prior shop just rigged back together... (another story).

Ok, so she fired back up, and ran fine but with a rough idle and occasional stalling. I initially had a TPS and Cyl #2 misfire code. I have a new TPS, but did not put it in yet as that code cleared after doing all of the other work mentioned above. I also replaced a cracked vaccum line to the PCV valve that helped quite a bit with the general idle, but she still gets a little rough coming down to a stop and stalls on me once per day, typically when I get to work (32 mile drive, all highway). Car is not missfiring and runs great on the highway.

I have searched numerous threads and I am trying to narrow this down to an IAC issue or I am open to any other suggestions you may have. Car has 89K on it. Fresh oil, no oil in coolant and no collant in the oil. No new DTCs have been set and I have gone about 400 miles since all of the items mentioned above have been replaced. We also thought it could have been stale gas from sitting my garage for 2 years un-moved, but I added fuel system cleaner, ISO Heet and 93 octane fuel to the old 3/4 tank of gas and ran that down to 1/8 of a tank and refilled with 93 octane (just tying to get good gas through it) and ran O'Reily octane boost in it as well.

Car idles and drives fine moving down the road, but at near stops it gets a little choppy and then loves to stall as I pull into my parking place at work like clock work.

Please give me some suggestions. I have not replaced the IAC or the air intake temperature sesor yet. I have a new but not installed TPS as that code cleared and never re-set as well.

Thanks

Damon

Re: 97 Cavalier Stalling when I stop and park at work
Wednesday, July 17, 2013 3:23 PM
Id check your fuel pressure and see if your losing fuel pressure to start if not then i would try and look at data if you dont have access to a scan tool with a data display you may have to have a shop look at it to narrow it down

Erik Packard
Tuesday, July 23, 2013 4:54 AM
Couple of updates here... replaced the TPS and IAC Valve, car ran better, but after drivign it for 30 minutes on my way to work, the idle got irratic and still stalled when I parked. The fule pressure regulator was changed out about 600 miles ago... would this still seem to be fuel pressure related since it runs perfectly fine on the highway, but when I slow down, turn right with the AC on, it dies. I am neaing my wits end here.

Replaced parts so far.
Coils
Coil control module
plugs
wires
TPS
IAC Valve
#2 injector (was plugged up)

I heard that it could be the TCC Soloenoid causing the torque converter to not work properly and stall it out like letting out the clutch too quick on a manual... anyone heard of this?

Thanks

97 Cavalier 2.2L 3 Speed Auto.
Wednesday, July 31, 2013 12:49 PM
Another update... unplugging the TCC made my car run worse... no kidding. No idea what is going on with that. But I did find a little water contamination in the fuel when changing the fuel filter. Hoping that ISO Heet and Lucas fuel treatment can clear that up. Runs a little better now, but still has a rough idel and hesitation after warmed up out of the blue and intermittantly.

Cleanted the EGR also. Was not as bad as I expected, but cleared it out anyway. I also cleaned the IAT sensor just in case. Running out of things to change.

Any more ideas?

Saturday, August 10, 2013 12:28 PM
I had a similar problem on my 1996 2.4L. The problem was solved by some combination of replacing the MAP sensor vacuum tube (which you can do in 2 minutes for about $1) and replacing the temperature sensor (which was likely the real culprit). If the temperature sensor reads too cold then the car's computer thinks the car is cold and feeds a richer mixture of fuel to the engine (just like a choke was used on older vehicles or lawnmower engines until the engine warmed up). If the computer feeds the engine a rich fuel mixture, then the car cold-starts fine and will seem to run well down the highway. But once the car is warmed up and you come to a stop, it runs rough and can hesitate or even stall. Following is a link the problem that I had regarding my similar (solved) problem.

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=11&i=159145&t=159145#159145
Tuesday, August 13, 2013 12:58 PM
Thank you for the heads up... I will definately try the temp sensor. We checked the MAP sensor vacuum lines already and they seemed fine. I was also going to replace the fuel pressure regulator again as well as a new fuel filter again (had some water in the gas from sitting 2 years).

I will definately try the temperature sensor though!

Thanks!!!

Friday, August 23, 2013 12:24 PM
Ok... Update. Still no luck. Car still stalls and runs like crap after warmed up coming off of the highway. Unplugging the TCC made no difference. I have also changed a ton or parts on this car so far and it is still running bad after coming off of the highway. Runs great when cold (not up to operating temp or below 50MPH)

Replaced parts
IAC
Plugs, wires, coils, ignitor module
#2 injector (was plugged casuing the #2 cyl missfire)
Fuel Filter
Coolant flushed and new themostat and engine coolant temp sensor
New Fuel pressure regulator
new TPS

Car has fresh oil, trans fluid and coolant. None of the times above have made any difference. Cleaned the IAT, and the EGR as well. No changes at all in how it runs.

Running the code reader (no scan tool), I have no stored codes or pending codes right now. However I do get an EVAP not ready condidtion and the Ho2S also reads as not ready after the car is warmed up.

Any other suggestions? I am about at my wits end. I have about $1K in this just in parts lately and I still cannot get it to run right.

Monday, September 28, 2015 6:27 AM
Ok, another update. Had to have the trans rebuilt as it basically burned out. Replaced the TCC along the way with the new trans build. I am no longer getting any check engine lights or codes, and the car runs great on the highway but still stalls as soon as I slow down for a stop light or stop sign after coming off of the highway. Car immediately restarts, no hesitation, but the stalling is really troubling.

Any other ideas? Wouldn't a failing fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator trip a check engine light? What about if the timing chain skipped a tooth with a broken tensioner? What would the symptoms of that look like?

Any and all help appreciated. Thanks!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search