Rocker panel - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Rocker panel
Saturday, October 03, 2015 9:51 PM
For some reason I cannot post on my other thread "04' ls sport help" so I'll just post this, sorry. So as stated in other thread my rocker panel is damaged(bent inwards most likely from a crash involving prior owner) so it definitely needs replaced as it is affecting not only the door but completely unable to attach a side skirt to it. I have photos of it so once I upload them from my sd card to my computer I'll post them but my question(s) is/are this. Http://www.fixmyrust.com/Item/1995-2005_Cavalier_2_Door_Rocker_Panel_Passenger_Side

Has anyone bought from this site before? What is involved exactly on changing the rocker panels? Anyone know of a more reputable company that sells replacement rocker panels for the 95-05 2Dr cavys?

Re: Rocker panel
Saturday, October 03, 2015 10:22 PM
I'm no means an expert on bodywork but i have done alright work. I know u need to drill out the factory rivets to replace panels on the car. However, if u could salvage the main structure then maybe just cut out the bad part and attach new panel. U could weld, rivet or even jb weld, then Bondo, paint etc. Time consuming but if u take ur time ull get a good result

ReD RaiN
Sunday, October 04, 2015 9:12 AM
Unfortunately there's very little of the rocker panel that isn't bent so if I did just cut out the damaged part it'd be like replacing 70% give or take a smidge of it. Like the only cosmetic damage is on passenger side and it's just the rocker panel, crappy door/fender replacement, I had to zip tie the fender so the tire wouldn't scrape. It doesn't affect driving thankfully but the door won't close 100% so with winter upon us definitely need this fixed. I would rather just get a new one for ease of mind I suppose, where are the rivets exactly? I did a bit of research and what little I could find was someone mentioning drilling spot welds and using a pry bar to pry it off.

The side skirt I plan on getting from my local upap, and well while the prior owner @!#$ up the wiring on the door all I care about at least for winter is having it shut fully. I will post pics for you guys later today so you can see the damage yourself.
Sunday, October 04, 2015 1:38 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281810956048?item=281810956048&viewitem=&vxp=mtr found this today, what do you think? Good buy? Is it the correct one?
Sunday, October 04, 2015 4:39 PM
this is what i am trying to fix
Sunday, October 04, 2015 4:42 PM
Not sure if the image posted as i cant see it, so here you go http://imgur.com/CZrP3E1
Monday, October 05, 2015 1:49 PM
Anyone?
Monday, October 05, 2015 9:58 PM
Pic worked, seems like a decent buy and yes the factory spot welds is what i was referring to. That's an odd damage u have there. If it was me id just cut the piece out what u need

ReD RaiN
Monday, October 05, 2015 10:35 PM
Ah good, it is a slip on rocker panel so not entirely sure how strong it is, what is the difference between the full and slip on rocker panels anyways? As all I can find are slip on rocker panels. The damaged area is odd, no clue what the prior owner did but seeing as I found booze & cigars in the back I suspect it was a good time up until that damaged occurred. I'll take another photo of what it looks like under the car where it's bent but as for the rocker panel if the eBAy slip on one will suffice I'll snatch it up and have my local body shop use it to repair the broken one.
Tuesday, October 06, 2015 10:16 PM
Slip on sounds even better altho I've never used them. The way the bend looks u prob have to cut it or pound it so it fits rights. As far as strength, it's usuall like 18-22 guage to begin with so i wouldn't worry too much espicially having strength from the original piece.

ReD RaiN
Monday, October 12, 2015 12:27 PM
I have to do an oil change do you think id be able to use jack stands with how that damage is or should I use ramps?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search