Maintanace, ABS and Traction Control comming on... - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Maintanace, ABS and Traction Control comming on...
Sunday, October 04, 2015 3:28 PM
soo i dont know where to go on this...its more annoying than anything. L8tly on my 03 cavi 2.2 ECO auto the maintenance, ABS and traction control lights will come on RANDOMLY at start up...there is no signs or anything wrong they just turn on...and not when u start the car right when you put the car into gear. Then when u turn the car off and start it back up everything is good and they dont come back...i looked into this and found that its typically ground issues...so today i cleaned up my grounds and re grounded the engine to body, body the battery ect...and still doing it....what next? cluster?

Re: Maintanace, ABS and Traction Control comming on...
Monday, October 05, 2015 8:09 PM
As much as I hate to say it, you're going to want to take it to a dealer and have them scan the ABS system for trouble codes. If there is a fault in the ABS, probably the EBCM in your case, the SERVICE, ABS, and TC OFF lights will come on because the TC runs via inputs from the ABS.
Tuesday, October 06, 2015 11:31 AM
I had a problem like this a few years a go and it turned out to be a damaged wire going to one of the wheel speed sensors. if your lucky you can go to your local auto parts store and have them scan the computer and tell you which wheel is causing trouble. I say lucky because not all scanners will be able to read the abs codes in which case you either have the dealer run a scan or pull the wheels and start checking wires. Another possibility would be a failing sensor.
Monday, November 23, 2015 12:32 PM
I have a similar intermittent ABS warning light in one of my (two) 1996 Cavaliers. My mechanic said that it's probably a bad ABS sensor on the rear wheel. He said it's a gamble to replace it and see if that fixes the intermittent appearance of the warning light, so I haven't tried to fix it.

I had a somewhat related problem on both of my 1996 2.4L LS Cavalier convertibles whereby the "Check Oil" light would come on (even though the oil was full). If I turned off the car briefly and restarted it, the "Check Oil" light wouldn't reappear. I replaced the oil sensors on both cars and in both cases the problem never reappeared. I mention this because (much to my surprise) apparently, bad sensors can cause this kind of intermittent warning-light that often appears when you first start the car but disappears when you quickly restart the car.
Monday, November 23, 2015 2:44 PM
I've had two versions of this issue in my 04 cavy. The first was this occurred and it was the wheel hub sensor. When I replaced the hub it still had a bad sensor so I swapped the hub for a second fresh one and finally it was fixed. The second was the abs speed sensor. I cut the old one off and then you just splice the new one in with some connectors. The sensor is super easy to replace, and it's like 65$, comes with connectors and more than enough wire. You'll need crimper for the fittings. Problem is I was working on a sway bar end link and I slipped and hit the wire breaking it. So I knew what sensor it was. You'll need a dealer or maybe an auto parts store (not sure if they'll get enough info) to scan. One thing to note, the speed sensor caused the abs to actually engage at low speeds. So it might be the sensor on the hub.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search