97 Z24 2.4L Transmission - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
97 Z24 2.4L Transmission
Monday, October 19, 2015 10:09 PM
Hi, guys. My 97 z24 2.4L auto has a few quirks that im trying to figure out. Im not sure if they are related or not. I have an OBD2 reader but the CEL isnt on, so no help there.

A few months ago my automatic transmission started shifting quick hard shifts out of nowhere. I let the car sit with the battery unhooked for a few weeks thinking it was something relatively serious. I eventually hooked the battery up to move the car and noticed that it was shifting normal again. So the computer resetting seemed to fix the issue.

Lately ive noticed that under hard acceleration the tranny shifts feel sloppy or kind of slow, almost the opposite of when it started shifting hard. Under regular driving conditions it feels normal however.

When I rev the car in neutral while rolling, say 20-30mph, it feels like the tranny engages just barely. Also it takes a long time for the RPMs to come back down after letting out of the throttle.

I also noticed a few weeks ago while driving on the interstate that two times my speedometer stopped reading correctly. One time it dropped to like 30mph then snapped back, the other time it went to 0mph and snapped back. This happens almost instantaneously.

Are these symptoms of a bad/failing transmission speed sensor? Or maybe just a failing trainsmission?

Any help is appreciated!

Re: 97 Z24 2.4L Transmission
Monday, October 19, 2015 10:20 PM
Ive also noticed as temperatures decrease, fall and winter temps, that the tranny doesnt want to shift into overdrive until it warms up.

There are no fluid leaks either.

Re: 97 Z24 2.4L Transmission
Wednesday, October 21, 2015 7:23 AM
MAS2425 wrote:A few months ago my automatic transmission started shifting quick hard shifts out of nowhere. I let the car sit with the battery unhooked for a few weeks thinking it was something relatively serious. I eventually hooked the battery up to move the car and noticed that it was shifting normal again. So the computer resetting seemed to fix the issue.

Check the IAT sensor.

MAS2425 wrote:Lately ive noticed that under hard acceleration the tranny shifts feel sloppy or kind of slow, almost the opposite of when it started shifting hard. Under regular driving conditions it feels normal however.

Change the filter and fluid.

MAS2425 wrote:When I rev the car in neutral while rolling, say 20-30mph, it feels like the tranny engages just barely. Also it takes a long time for the RPMs to come back down after letting out of the throttle.

Normal

MAS2425 wrote:I also noticed a few weeks ago while driving on the interstate that two times my speedometer stopped reading correctly. One time it dropped to like 30mph then snapped back, the other time it went to 0mph and snapped back. This happens almost instantaneously.

Remove and clean / replace the VSS sensor.

MAS2425 wrote:Ive also noticed as temperatures decrease, fall and winter temps, that the tranny doesnt want to shift into overdrive until it warms up.

Check the IAT and the grounds at the trans and engine block.... right by the starter.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search