experienced welder question - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
experienced welder question
Tuesday, October 27, 2015 10:25 PM
Hey guys i was working on porting the inlet side of one of my header tubes and shaved a bit too much off the inside.. I know amateur lol but hey the rest turned out good. Appears that way. Anyhow wondering if this is fixable? Im worried when it heats up whether the rest will blow out too.. It was free so no loss. Gotta do exhaust repairs anyways.
Attachments
20151027_172308-1.jpg (482k)

ReD RaiN

Re: experienced welder question
Wednesday, October 28, 2015 8:14 AM
First off why would you weaken your headers for minimal power gains that would probably be unnoticeable. But with that being said yes you can easily welded that and have no problems for a long while. But other parts of header that may be to thin now might burn out holes.
Wednesday, October 28, 2015 8:14 AM
What type of material is it? That's a pretty big gash it would be pretty difficult to make that gap and not warp the header. MAYBE if you could find someone to tig weld it, it could be done. But they would need to put the header in some sort of jig to make sure it doesn't warp while welding.
Wednesday, October 28, 2015 8:20 AM
As far as warping goes it's a small area and .shouldn't have any problems if worried put half header in some water the other half that bolts to car.
Wednesday, October 28, 2015 10:27 PM
Thanks for the responses. Figured it could be fixed just didn't know if it was worth it. It's a pace setter header and new to the power scene. I have read and heard porting is one of the easiest and cheapest ways to gain power. I know it's referring to the head but figured moving more air freely will increase power but dont know much about it. Figure id try to get the most from my 2.2

ReD RaiN
Thursday, October 29, 2015 9:33 PM
The easiest way would be to get a rounded piece of copper and put it inside the header for a backing. Then start the weld at the thickest part of the hole, As in angle the end of the welder to point at the thickest part. And weld in small bursts, till it just turns white, then let it cool down to red before you go again. Not that big of a deal.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search