Ignition coil cover problems - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ignition coil cover problems
Friday, January 15, 2016 2:31 PM
Hey guys, about a month ago my factory ignition coil housing cracked causing the usual problems, I replaced it with a black one from Autozone and it helped a lot but now I have a cylinder 2 misfire. I already replaced the plugs, coils, and boots the month before it cracked. Has anyone had an issue with the black ignition coil housing from Autozone? Are the junk?

Re: Ignition coil cover problems
Saturday, January 16, 2016 8:34 AM
I haven't tried the Autozone coil housing. (I bought mine from Amazon, I think.) But a few thoughts, just in case it helps.

It seems unlikely that even a poorly-made housing would fail so quickly.
    You may just want to try to reseat ithe housing onto the spark-plugs (hopefully without breaking the boots.)
    If you didn't use any kind of contact jelly (dielectric grease?) on the coil's spring contacts, you may want to apply some in order to prevent oxidation-based open-circuits.
    It's not possible to test the housing with a volt-ohm meter because the housing failures occur from arcing at high voltage (not detectable with a low-voltage continuity check). So unfortunately, all you can do is replace it to see if that fixes the problem.

Saturday, January 16, 2016 9:00 AM
Thanks for the reply, I exchanged the housing at autozone for another one and put it on with no dice, I then pulled the plug corks and noticed one was questionable, luckily I still had the old ones from before I replaced them so I swapped them out for the old ones and sure enough the misfire cel disappeared. Took it for a drive and there was no backfiring, no bogging, no stalling. From my experience I would never buy the cheapest wire set/cork set at autozone for these cars. Can't speak for the Bosch set but the ones with the #4yy part number are very cheap. Now all I'm hoping is my cat didn't get destroyed from all the gas going into it since I just got my emissions testing sip in the mail last week
Sunday, January 17, 2016 10:10 AM
Thanks for getting back to us. That's good to know. The plastic shell on the boots are very easy to break when installing/removing the coil housing. Bad design.

Good luck with your emissions testing. I had to replace a catalytic converter on one of my Cavalier 2.4Ls because I had an ignition-miss problem that sent bad stuff (fuel-mixture I suppose) into the cat. California emissions testing.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search