01 z24..removing rear interior? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
01 z24..removing rear interior?
Tuesday, March 15, 2016 2:57 PM
So i have a 2001 z24 new engine, clutch trans paint and basically rebuuilt. So about 4 years ago i had it repainted, and the quarter panel rust on the lower passenger side by the side skirt was cut out and redone.
. Now it seems to be barely reappearing, car hasnt seen snow, not much rain. Etc. So i was thinking of removing the rear seat and panels (2 door model) to maybe see if i can see whats causing it...

Anyone ever tore out the rear panels? If so. Any opinions or tricks?

Re: 01 z24..removing rear interior?
Tuesday, March 15, 2016 10:39 PM
Not sure if i understood right but if ur removing the interior panels u wont be able to see much of the rear quarter panel. To do so ull need to remove the back seat. No real tricks other then what order. Front pillars, roof lining, ull also have to unscrew the coat hook things. Rear seat removal has clips on the lower hinge thatll have to be remove as well. If u have a sunroof theres clips and harnesses for that and the dome light. Other then that its pretty straight forward

ReD RaiN
Re: 01 z24..removing rear interior?
Wednesday, March 16, 2016 11:34 PM
I have 1996 Cavalier convertibles so I'm not sure how applicable my experience is but here are the notes that I made for myself (and posted on this forum) for removing the rear seat and side interior panels in the back:

1) Remove the rear seat-back by folding it forward about 45 degrees. Then wiggle it back and forth while pushing the entire seatback toward the passenger side of the car while pulling the driver side until you can unhinge it from the passenger side. Then wiggle it back and forth while pulling toward the driver side to unhinge it from the passenger side. Remove the seat-back from the car.

2) To remove the seat base, lift the seat base slightly on either side (from the front), and look under the seat base. On either side you will see a square metal post with a hole in it. If you push a flat head screwdriver into the hole of that metal post, it will release the clip that holds the seat down. Remove the rear seat base by pushing the seatbelts out of the way and then firmly pulling it straight up. Be careful to note the orientation and placement of the clips since it can be difficult to figure out how to reattach them.) Remove the seat base from the car.

3) Remove the inside rear side panels as follows. You’ll need to remove three black Philips-head screws from each side. (Top rear. Bottom middle. Front middle. All the same size.) You’ll also need to remove the rear-most screw from each side floorboard and carefully slide the side panel tongue out from under the side floorboard. It will be difficult to pull the panels from their clips without breaking the plastic clip posts so gently pull straight toward the opposite panel, until the clips detach. Then lift and wiggle the side panel to remove it. Once removed, you’ll also need to disconnect the speaker and light. You may want to use a screwdriver to depress the tab on speaker connector. You may want to use two screwdrivers to hold out the light clips when you pull the plug out from the clear plastic light housing (which can be surprisingly challenging). If you pull the seat-belt out, you can carefully remove the panel and set it on the outside of the car (though the seat-belt will still be running through the panel).
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search