can't get AT shifter back into park - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
can't get AT shifter back into park
Thursday, April 21, 2016 2:37 PM
I can't get the car back into park until I pull up on the parking brake lever. Then it seems to work. The parking brake didn't work at all prior to this new problem. So now with both these problems I'm in a pretty precarious position. I can't use the parking brake because it doesn't work at all, but it is letting me fix the problem of not getting back into park for now. What does this sound like to you guys? I also have a bad squeak in the hub I replaced, could that be affecting the transmission negatively?

2002 cavalier 4 door, automatic with 2200 SFI motor, custom carputer installed.

Re: can't get AT shifter back into park
Tuesday, April 26, 2016 6:49 PM
I think it has less to do with the parking brake and more to do with the button on the shifter going bad. Pulling the parking brake just gives me a chance to press the button again and it just barely scrapes back into park. Now that I know I can press the button just right and park it each time. Are these shifter lock release mechanisms hard to work on?

2002 cavalier 4 door, automatic with 2200 SFI motor, custom carputer installed.
Re: can't get AT shifter back into park
Tuesday, April 26, 2016 10:03 PM
Im by no means on expert when it comes to transmissions but i remember my grandmas car had troubles getting into park. Turned out to be some kind of retaining clip for the transmission i believe, might be a start anyways.. Sorry cant help more

ReD RaiN
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search