97 Sunfire 2.2 Need Help / Advice - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
97 Sunfire 2.2 Need Help / Advice
Tuesday, August 30, 2016 12:39 PM
Ok so first off hello guys. I've been lurking here and a few other forums while I get my Sunfire who I have named Mordred into shape. Mordred had some problems which I fixed but now has other problems. The trouble started with valve stem seals which i replaced and while i was doing that i replaced the spark plugs, cleaned the pcv valve and throttle body and replaced the upper intake manifold gasket because it was warped and leaking. I also cleaned the fuel injector on the number four cylinder. I decided to clean my EGR valve as well and in the process of cleaning the EGR pipe that comes down from the throttle body I dropped a q-tip down into said pipe... I know how why wtf trust me I know not why I do these things to poor Mordred but never the less it is done. So how bad do you guys think this is going to be? Also my o2 sensor has a burn hole in the side and generally looks like its dead or dying. The car sputers and put put puts from the muffler and there seems to be a lot of oil dripping from the muffler. So i sprayed two cans of carb cleaner into the o2 sensor port and let it run down the exhaust thinking it might help to clean it out and cease the put put puts. I'm not 100% I put the throttle cable back correctly as the engine gets stuck on 2000 to 3000 rpms until i press the gas peddle sharply then it returns to normal. Also my oil pressure light will go on when i'm at a red light sometimes but never while driving. Any help or input would be appreciated! I can upload some pictures if it would help also.

Re: 97 Sunfire 2.2 Need Help / Advice
Sunday, September 11, 2016 3:55 PM
Wow... where to start. Oil out the tail pipe is surprising and not good to say the least. Are you sure it's oil, and not just carbon colored water vapor?
For the throttle stuck at 2-3k, make sure the throttle cable is ok.
You also may want to just run some seafoam or other cleaner through both the gas tank (thus injectors) as well as suck it in with a vacuum line, while opening the throttle to keep it from dying.

The q-tip, I would guess isn't too big of an issue. If it gets sucked into the engine, the valves will chop it up and/or burn it through the exhaust, and it will get stuck at the cat, and eventually melt/burn off over time. Or it might get stuck in the intake and cause no issue as it sits there. Probably not optimal, but you have bigger problems to focus on, lol. To replace the valve seals, you must have removed the rocker arms. Are you sure you got those tight again? If those are loose, the engine will run like crap. (and probably be loud too, tapping noise)
I think a o2 sensor (if it's the single wire one) is only like $20. Definitely worth replacing is yours is dead or soon to be dead.

The oil pressure light should only come on when it's VERY low. Check that you have full oil level in there ASAP. If you do, maybe that sensor is bad, or not seeing good oil pressure. clogged oil pump? you can put some of that seafoam into the oil as well, a few 100 miles before an oil change. That may help remove some of the sludge on the pickup of the oil pump.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search