New starter, motor won't turn - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
New starter, motor won't turn
Friday, September 23, 2016 5:48 AM
I have a 1998 Z24, had a starter issue replaced the starter with a new one went to start it engages the flywheel but the engine won't crank at all, checked battery,(good) cables are cleaned and tight , relay and fuses checked , I was going to check the crank pulley today and the a/c comp. to make sure everything there is ok, looking for any other areas to check Thanks

Re: New starter, motor won't turn
Friday, September 23, 2016 2:37 PM
Put a wrench onto the nut on the nose of the crankshaft (hope that car has that, I am not familiar with the car of that year) and see if you can turn over the engine freely, including all the ancillaries.
If that works, then something must be wrong with the new starter. Is it the right starter?
Check if the Bendix-gear moves out as much as the old one.
Compare the new and the old starters, if you still have the old one.

Good luck, Peter
Saturday, September 24, 2016 9:32 PM
If it were Me I would simply use a long extension and place on the starter and tap it with a hammer on the end of the extension..I know this sounds like beating rocks,but this could determine if your new reman starter has a dead spot.I would verify with a multimeter your battery's voltage.You need at least 12.9 volts (this is the lowest) for a good battery not fully charged and attempting to crank.I would say in short if the car cranked prior to the original part failing,I doubt your battery has gone bad however checking the voltage is a good idea.New reman starters can fail.If the car cranks after tapping the starter I would remove it and take it back for a replacement.They may bench test it,but if it has a dead spot where no electrical contact happens in 1 spot this is (NOT) full proof even on bench testing.Get a new part.

Sunday, October 16, 2016 1:44 PM
Found out the problem, apparently there was a problem with the timing chain tensioner it failed valves hit number 1 piston top was intact but the sides of piston was in the oil pan, had to happen when I went to start it, cylinder looks good now debating on rebuilding it or getting one from the yard if I can find one, if I rebuild will probably be looking at all new bearings, oil pump, new pistons have the rods checked out [hard to find replacements ] and most likably a new cylinder head . Just my luck
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search