Replacing lifters on a 99 cavalier. - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Replacing lifters on a 99 cavalier.
Monday, May 22, 2017 6:57 PM
Hi, I apologize of this has been asked before, I tried to do a search and I didn't get any results.

I have a 99 cavalier and about a month ago it just stopped running one day as I was going to work. I have checked for spark and it's good and I also made sure it wasn't my fuel pump. I have a compression issue and right before my car stopped running the lifters were ticking really bad.

I have been told numerous times that bad lifters wouldn't cause a no start condition, but I met someone today at a auto parts store that said otherwise. I have been do a lot of reading and watching videos on YouTube on how to change my lifters since I think that's the cause. I haven't actually done this before and I will be doing it by myself so there are few questions I have about it going in to it.

1. Most importantly, could a bad/stuck lifter cause a no start condition?
2. Do I need a valve tool to release pressure on spring on the valve even if I am not changing the valve?
3. I saw a video on YouTube where someone was able to use a lifter puller tool and pulled the lifters out through the top of the hole where the push rod sits on the lifter. Is this possible on the 2.2l that came in the 99?

Thanks in advance for any advice or tips anyone can give me.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search