My 1996 has 2 outstanding recalls from 15 years ago - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
My 1996 has 2 outstanding recalls from 15 years ago
Friday, July 28, 2017 8:20 AM
Just for the hell of it and because I'm selling the car and don't want any surprises, I entered the VIN in the NHTSA website and out popped two recalls issued in 2002 that were never done.

Feb 27,2002
Manufacturer Recall NumberN020008
NHTSA Recall Number02V070
Recall StatusRecall Incomplete
Summary
If the engine fails to start and the driver holds the key in the "start" position for an extended period, high current flows through the ignition switch, and sometimes produces enough heat to melt internal switch parts.

Safety Risk
If the switch is damaged, a fire could occur in the steering column, even with the engine off and the key removed.

Remedy
Dealers will install a relay kit in these vehicles to prevent high current from flowing through the ignition switch free of charge.

Nov 01,2002
Manufacturer Recall NumberN020049
NHTSA Recall Number02V286
Recall StatusRecall Incomplete
Summary
Certain passenger vehicles and mini vans have lower pinion bearings in the power rack and pinion assembly in which the retainer tabs were not crimped properly. These and some other retainers used in vehicles assembled between January 1, 1996 and October 31, 1997, could fail and permit the ball bearings to escape.

Safety Risk
If this occurs, the pinion shaft can be forced upward during left turns and back down as the steering wheel is moved back and to the right. If the pinion shaft moves further, the driver will need to exert more effort to turn the steering wheel, similar to a vehicle without power assisted steering. If the pinion shaft moves even further, the driver will require much higher effort to turn left and may not be able to turn the wheel as much as intended. With the maximum pinion shaft movement, which requires internal gear component damage, the driver can encounter high resistance to turning left, followed by unintended power assist to the right. In any of these conditions, a crash could occur.

Remedy
Dealers will install a new lower pinion bearing unless inspect of the existing bearing indicates that replacement of the gear assembly is necessary free of charge.

Maybe I'll get a new steering rack out of this.

Re: My 1996 has 2 outstanding recalls from 15 years ago
Tuesday, August 01, 2017 8:07 AM

My advice on recalls - if you aren't having a problem do not have the work done. In my experience, the downside of having something screwed-up, broken, or dented, scratched, etc....FAR outweighs any benefits you might get just because of some ultra-low-chance of having a problem which you haven't had in years anyway.
Tuesday, August 01, 2017 10:54 AM
I'm selling the car and from a liability standpoint, I'd be screwed if the new owner had an accident due to an open recall. One involves the steering rack.
Wednesday, August 09, 2017 1:34 PM
Since GM went bankrupt a few years ago, they disavowed any responsibility. You may be able to find out from your local dealer if/what recalls are outstanding. I'm not a lawyer but I doubt you have any liability anyway unless your state has a specific statute.
d.
Wednesday, August 09, 2017 2:24 PM
Dealer took care of both recalls last week.
Wednesday, August 09, 2017 2:49 PM
Awesome!
d
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search