2.4L Cavalier Timing Housing - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.4L Cavalier Timing Housing
Thursday, October 05, 2017 8:03 PM
Hello,

I recently discovered a crack on my timing housing where my intake valve cover meets up (lucky me right?) Who all has any pointers and tips on what I can do to make this job less painful? I went to the local junkyard and quickly realized there is more to it than just pulling off some bolts. Is there a way to remove and install a new housing without pulling up the engine? Thank you for your help in advance

Re: 2.4L Cavalier Timing Housing
Tuesday, October 31, 2017 8:15 PM
If you're referring to the timing chain housing, then I think it's a pretty ugly job. I've never done it, but I've had my mechanic do it. I'm pretty sure that you don't have to jack the engine up or anything. I've seen at least one YouTube video on it. While you have it off, you should replace your timing chain tensioners.
Wednesday, November 01, 2017 7:48 AM
In addition to the tensioners that RazzMaTazz mentioned, the water pump is a good idea too (unless it was recently changed) since you will be "in the area" and it is all apart to do it.

This is based on personal experience with my old 96 Cav with the 2.4 and my son's 2000 Grand Am that also had a 2.4.

Brian
Friday, November 03, 2017 2:01 AM
Yeah... I almost suggested replacing the water pump because the labor of pulling off the timing chain cover is so bad. Since water pumps only last ~50k miles or so, personally, I'd replace the water pump if it had more than 25k miles on it and I thought I'd keep the car for another 25k miles. If you replace the water pump you should also replace the thermostat and seal.
Saturday, November 04, 2017 3:43 PM
Yep - I replaced my timing chain and sliders while in the car.
I'd a big job.
You'll need to put a board under the oil pan so you can jack up the engine.

Pull the coolant reservoir, the engine hanger, then the cover.
Do believe you can turn the engine around and use some 10mm bolts in the upper cams to lock them down. so they wont move when you loosen the belt.
Get a new chain tensioner as well.
Pull wheel off and the plastic well off from underneath.
May need a gear puller to pull the belt pully.
Everything can be done with engine in car.
Take your time, take pics, get lots of light in there so you can see what's going on.May take you a few days.

Good luck.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search