Head swap - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Head swap
Tuesday, February 27, 2018 4:39 PM
I have a head from a 98 s10 2.2 ohv I got for free. Was wondering if anyone knew if you can swap that to an 01 sunfire 2.2 ohv? I searched and couldn't find any good info. I know the egr would have to be blocked off as well as the port for the thermostat.

Re: Head swap
Wednesday, February 28, 2018 3:12 PM
I did a bunch a research on the 2.2 OHV when I was rebuilding a 1999 Sunfire. Its been over a year & I have trouble remembering what I did yesterday but here goes.

Most of the things that you will need to look at are the cooling. Verify the hose connections line up. Check the thermostat placement. I think its OK on these heads & Im thinking the Twin Cam thermostat was moved not this one. I also noticed the cooling line difference in some photos. They may have swapped ends that the coolant came out. Also take a good look at the bracket holes.

I dont recall finding any major port configuration changes but compare then side by side if you can. When you get yours off I would CC a chamber or two just to verify they are close & you dont get a drastic change in compression. Just fill them up with cooking oil using a measuring cup or better yet a 50 cc syringe.

In a quick search & I found the Wiki below. It looks like the changes were fueling, emissions & stroking the crank. My guess is the pistons were changed this is why I suggest ccing the chambers.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_122_engine

It only took me six hours to replace the head gasket the 1st time I did it so find a buddy & a 12 pack of beer & spend a weekend on it. It it does not work out you will at least have a new head gasket, a clean intake & a nice buzz.

Best of luck & I hope someone gives you better info than I have.
Re: Head swap
Thursday, March 01, 2018 9:53 AM
Thanks for the replay bill it's good information. I looked more at the head on my sunfire and it looks like where the coolant pipe bolts to the front is the same spot on the s10 head where the thermostat bolts. Also on the back where the egr port is it looks like the coil bracket on my sunfire has it blocked off, hard to tell though until I take it apart. I'll post an update once I tear into it on whether it works or not, but it seems like a pretty straight forward head swap to me.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search