replacing CV axles - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
replacing CV axles
Sunday, February 09, 2020 10:07 AM
So I could make this a really long post because it is a really long story. But the short version is both my CV joints sound terrible. Just had 3 days and nights of solid rain and no choice but to drive on more watery streets than usual. The joints did not like that. Usually, they quiet down and behave after a day or two when this happens (the boots have been torn for 10 years) but not this time. I'm afraid the axles are going to break off. I have watched that 1AAuto youtube video a bunch of times and it makes it look like a piece of cake. However, I cannot have any surprises when and if I get started (you literally would not believe the circumstances and parameters I am operating under) - so needless to say - finding this scared the crap out of me:

Before I buy both axles from Autozone or Advance (which don't mention anything like what this guy and his stub shaft are dealing with) - how can I be sure that I won't have any surprises when I get under there and pull these things out - and that there isn't some "extra" hardware that wasn't mentioned anywhere?

2001 Cavalier 5-speed manual 2.2 253K

Thanks.

Re: replacing CV axles
Sunday, February 09, 2020 10:09 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBV6BgW7E-0

don't know why the link didn't show up
Sunday, February 09, 2020 10:32 PM
There really isnt no surprises but i can say the clips that holds the boots on are a pain in the *ss. I ended up using zip ties.

ReD RaiN
Monday, February 10, 2020 8:11 AM

After a bit more research, it looks like those stub shafts are just required for automatic transmissions. I have a 5 speed manual. I don't expect to have to deal with any C-clips anywhere either.

What about alignment after changing the half-shafts? Required or not?
Monday, February 10, 2020 8:36 AM
Disconnecting and reconnecting the lower A arm will not affect alignment.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search