Cavalier instrument cluster swap - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cavalier instrument cluster swap
Tuesday, February 25, 2020 8:11 AM
Hey guys! Im new to this forum and just bought a 2002 Chevy cavalier with the 2.2l engine for a few hundred bucks. Issue with it is the odometer Is displayed in kilometers (Canadian car brought in to the u.s.) and I want it to display in miles. I know the junkyard has a few cavaliers that I could take an instrument cluster from. If I swapped one from a donor car would the milage be off? Would it still display the milage in kilometers? Or is this information stored in the instrument cluster. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Re: Cavalier instrument cluster swap
Wednesday, February 26, 2020 2:36 PM
Anyone?
Wednesday, February 26, 2020 5:07 PM
I have no idea. However, I can offer a maybe possible way to find out. Check out your local GM service center. They"d know how it works and may share that info with you, if they're not too busy or just won't say. I've found every one I've ever been to were wiling to answer my questions. They've also looked things up and searched for sources too.
Hope they'll help you out
Thursday, February 27, 2020 4:32 PM
If it has a digital odometer the data is stored in the BCU, not the cluster.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Friday, February 28, 2020 8:44 AM
Cool topic. I did a couple of cluster swaps myself to score much wanted tachometers for my Cavalier base 99 and for my sleeper 98 "Cavalier RS" sedan with stick.

Here is a question:

Does the BCU distance data get automatically converted to miles or kilometers by the cluster or does the BCU do all that and then sends all data and the cluster just picks the type it wants?

I am sure the data is there and stored safe and sound in the BCU either way. To me the question is how and where it is processed. (English to metric conversion on the fly or both stored?)

The 2000-2005s Js are all nice and interchangeable. It is those pesky 1995-1999 ones that are a total chaotic "cluster" in regards to swapability, especially those last 1998-1999 ones.

99LN2
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search