Stalling at stop/idle. - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Stalling at stop/idle.
Saturday, August 22, 2020 10:45 AM
My 1990 z24 is having some issues idling. When I'm at a stop it starts to die and the rpms jump between 500-1000. If I put it in park the rpms go way up to 1.5 then settle back down to normal 1000 for about a minute then it starts to have issues. I know my fuel pressure is low. My mechanic said it was running at about 9 psi lower than it should have been and that he thought my fuel pump was causing the low pressure. I tried replacing the map sensor to see if that was it, I also do have some worn down hoses that run on the vacuum line (the one for the cruise control is the worst) so it could be a vacuum leak. But I don't think a vacuum leak would make my car stall like this. Any opinions before I go sticking more money into this thing?

I also feel like I should add that I don't feel like it's the torque converter, it runs smooth when I drive it. Just has issues getting enough gas. Sometimes I hear it chug for gas at higher speeds (kind of gurgles).

Re: Stalling at stop/idle.
Saturday, August 22, 2020 7:08 PM
I offered some suggestions on what can cause idle problems in your other thread. Also some suggestions on diagnostics.
Things are more relaxed around here than they used to be, but that is I suppose due to the site being less active. Anyway, it would probably be a good idea to stay with the one thread.
You say the fuel pressure is 9 PSI lower than it should be. It should be 41 to 47 PSI. So was your pressure 32 PSI? We should continue this in that other thread > http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=11&i=172101&t=172101
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search