bleed / flush power steering fluid - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
bleed / flush power steering fluid
Wednesday, September 16, 2020 4:53 AM

Is there an official / easy / proper / best method for completely bleeding out and flushing all of the power steering fluid in the system and replacing it? I'm not talking about just the lock-to-lock steering wheel thing. I want to get every drop out of my system and put clean fluid in there. Thanks.

2001 2.2 Cavalier 259K 5-speed manual.

Leak in the system killed the old pump 2 years ago. This one was doing fine just adding more once in a while, but now it is howling and whining even though the reservoir is full. The difference now is that the fluid is dirty and contaminated, which is a big change. Usually, at all times in the past, the clean fluid just got lower but stayed clean.

Re: bleed / flush power steering fluid
Wednesday, September 16, 2020 4:00 PM
You could use a pump to flush it. Doing it a few times with fresh fluid will end up getting most everything out.

The only way I know to thoroughly clean the rack is to dismantle it, clean everything with brake cleaner. Check that there are is no damage/scratches to any parts of the rack. Then put it back together with a new seal kit.
Use a Mityvac hand pump (which have more than doubled in price over the last 2 or 3 years since I bought mine) to get all the air out. You can make a cap for the reservoir out of a sink drain stopper. Works great and is far cheaper than a purpose made bleed cap. DO NOT pull more than about 20 on the vacuum.

Maybe someone knows a better method, but the above works well and is the only way to be certain all contaminates are removed.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search