No A/C compressor doesn't turn on - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Archive
This thread has been archived. Posts that have been archived can not be replied to.
No A/C compressor doesn't turn on
Sunday, May 09, 2004 1:28 PM
when i hit the A/C button, or put it on recirculate, the A/C light comes on but the compressor does not engage. i have a 97 2.4 is there anything i can do to fix it, i heard of jumping wires, but which wires do i jump?

the A/C port was reading 25 psi, which i assume to be low.

Re: No A/C compressor doesn't turn on
Sunday, May 09, 2004 1:40 PM
ur number for the a/c means nothing unless the compressor is running, and 25 with the system not running is low, u need to pull the a/c relay on the main fuse box and jump 87 and 30, to fill the system th e compressor must be running just so u know <br>

Its not how fast your car goes....its how much nerve the driver has to push it that fast.
Sunday, May 09, 2004 2:51 PM
i jumped 87 and 30 and still no compressor turning on. there was voltage at the two lower spots on the relay, not the top two. i guess thats how its supposed to be, im guessing maybe there is a wire that is bad or something along those lines??

Mike <br>

TurboXs type-H BOV for sale...MINT
$55 Shipped
Sunday, May 09, 2004 3:10 PM
You may run into the same catch 22 I ran into. Tehre is a pressure switch in the system so if the pressure gets too low it will not let the compressor come on at all. I finallly spliced a jumper wire into the wire going to the compressor and jumped it to 12 V to test it. I had to unplug the plug from the compressor and it was a tight fit to do but now zI left the wire up near the firewall so it is ready for testing next time. There are 2 wires in the plug, one is a ground and the other is the power wire you want to splice into.

hope this helpw, let us know how you make out. Mine was low on Freon but after charging I am not sure how well it works.
Monday, May 10, 2004 10:24 AM
pressure switch doesn nothing but power the 86 terminal on the ac compressor relay, jumping 30 78, will completely turn on the compressor, it don't matter if its low on freon or whatever,u can destroy the compressor, all the pressure switch does is turn the relay on and off, if after jumping the "correct" points, it still doesn't turn on, ur compressor or wiring is bad,

<br>

Its not how fast your car goes....its how much nerve the driver has to push it that fast.
Wednesday, May 26, 2004 6:11 AM
So if the pressure switch is on, then you'll have voltage at the 86 terminal?

I'm having a problem with mine where the 85 terminal is not grounding when the AC switch is on (from the button, max AC or defrost). If I short 87/30 or even ground the 85 terminal (with the relay half plugged in), the compressor comes on. I checked the wire from the PCM to the relay and there is no short.

I can't tell from the Chiltons schematics how the wiring runs from the inside switches to the PCM. It lists an "A/C sensor" on the one schematic, but nothing about it (wires, location, etc).

Any ideas on this problem?
Wednesday, May 26, 2004 11:02 AM
same problem i had with mine, after accident a/c would not kick, system would not activate the rad fan would not come on, but came on for overheating, jump terminals as you said, and the compressor would fire up, after about 10 seconds the whole a/c system kicked in, idle jumped and fan turned on, added some freon and clean the pressure switch and hasd been working fine, the switch is more of a pressure sensor, it doesn't go to the relay it goes back to the computer, the computer is what actually turns the sensor on, sensor is located on high pressure side on passenger side near the red high pressure port has 3 wires on a 98 cav 2,2
<br>

Thursday, May 27, 2004 6:29 AM
Sounds like the A/C clutch relay could be bad. <br>

2002 Cav LS Sport w/just a few mods.....30% legal tint, intake bong trashed, K&N filter,
2 1/4 catback w/Supertrapp muffler & JetHot coated pipes, Ractive front & rear strut bars

(30 Jun 03) Car is done for the time being. Building the bike is more important now.

One of my favorite websites.

98.9 The Rock - Corporate Radio Sucks A s s

Proud to be an American!
Thursday, May 27, 2004 12:38 PM
Thanks guys. Sounds like it may be my pressure switch since it (through the computer) powers the relay. I will take a look at it tonite.

Sarge, is there another relay in addition to the one in the passenger side underhood fuse/relay block? I have replaced that relay, plus if I ground the 85 terminal (as if the computer had), the compressor kicks on. So it seems the relay is working, but I'm not getting that terminal 85 ground it needs to pass current and turn it on.
Saturday, May 29, 2004 6:48 AM
what the temperature outside by chance, reason i ask is the pressure switch activates at a certain temp, thats why your ac wont work in the winter. i think it activates at
10-15 C

just a thought <br>

JBO since July 30, 2001
Monday, May 31, 2004 2:09 PM
Do this jumper thing apply to a Sunfire 2000 2.2L Automatic? I have the same problem about the not working compressor .

Tuesday, June 01, 2004 2:31 PM
Formerly Killerbee1997 wrote:what the temperature outside by chance, reason i ask is the pressure switch activates at a certain temp, thats why your ac wont work in the winter. i think it activates at
10-15 C

just a thought

the pressure switch is just that a pressure switch it has no idea the temperature, and your air conditioning turns on in the winter don't know who told you that it doesn't
<br>

Wednesday, June 02, 2004 8:19 PM
my system wouldn't come on but it was just too low on freon. I was thrilled since I never knew it won't kick on at all. The things you learn....
Thursday, June 03, 2004 4:56 PM
Correct, the pressure is a *pressure* switch. What I've been told is that If the freon coming out of the compressor is too cold because it's not picking up enough heat, possibly cause you're running the A/C on high for some time on a very cold day, it will shut off (low temp = low pressure).

More to the point, In my experience, If your A/C isn't kicking in and you suspect low pressure, you can just hook up a fresh can of coolant to the port and let it run for a while. It won't suck in the coolant like it does when the compressor is going, but there's enough pressure in the can that after a while enough will go into the system that the pressure switch will switch on. This is a lot less trouble than jumping the terminals.

jm
Sunday, June 27, 2004 4:21 PM
Hey guys. I finally got back to the AC problem on my car (kinda got pushed down the list since it's been so cool here).

I bought a recharge kit and recharged it. The compresssor came right on and it was cranking out super cold air, but then I checked under the hood again and I see little droplets of fluid coming up from the AC compressor. They were little brown colored droplets and there some slung on the splash shield underneath as well. I also noticed a fairly loud cracking/popping sound (like popcorn) from the (area of the) compressor with the AC on.

Any ideas? I read in another post about the shaft seal behind the pulley as a culprit for a leak. Can that be changed without disconnecting the refrigerant lines?

Also, out of curiousity, what is being thrown up? Is that refrigerant? And if so, is this probably why the system lost pressure to begin with or is the problem a result of bypassing the pressure switch for a seconds for testing?
Monday, June 28, 2004 8:58 AM
sounds like the compressor oil leaking out with the bearings going bye bye, its time for a new comporessor and some more freon
<br>

Tuesday, June 29, 2004 5:12 AM
Thanks LittleBill. I appreciate the help!!
Forum Archive
This thread has been archived. Posts that have been archived can not be replied to.

Start New Topic Advanced Search