What type of synthetic manual transmission fluid? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
What type of synthetic manual transmission fluid?
Tuesday, November 16, 2004 3:51 PM
For a 2003 Cav? Any preference?

Thanks

Chris <br>

2006 Cobalt SS I/H/E ZZP S2 HPT 2.8/60's Etc...13.8@105(I need to learn how to launch)

Re: What type of synthetic manual transmission fluid?
Wednesday, November 17, 2004 10:53 AM
Use Mobil 1 Synth ATF fluid. Been using it for a year now, really good results. <br>

Dark blue 2002 Z24, 2.4 Ltr.
Re: What type of synthetic manual transmission flu
Wednesday, November 17, 2004 11:02 AM
Well you have a manual transmission and GM recommend only Synchromesh. Penzoil also make a synchromesh fluid. I know this to be true for 95-99 trans only. I'm not sure if the Getrags have bronze synchros like the Isuzu does, which is why Synchromesh is recomendded. <br>

Wednesday, November 17, 2004 2:21 PM
B&M Trick Shift ATF. (grey bottle)
Extreamly smooth shifting in any weather, and if you have the Getrag tranny noise, this fluid will lower it considerably.

<br>

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Wednesday, November 17, 2004 2:37 PM
I use Amsoil Universal ATF and it seems to shift a little smoother. I don't have the infamous rattle though. <br>

God bless America.
Wednesday, November 17, 2004 2:58 PM
GM sends it with syncromesh from the factory. However if they have a growl noise, they say to use a Saturn synthetic fluid. Other's have had good results with the B&M trickshift synthetic ATF <br>

Wednesday, November 17, 2004 4:35 PM
Jonathan French (minitransam) wrote:GM sends it with syncromesh from the factory.

Mine came with Dexron III. <br>

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Wednesday, November 17, 2004 6:36 PM
My bad, your right. <br>

Wednesday, November 17, 2004 7:03 PM
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:B&M Trick Shift ATF. (grey bottle)
Extreamly smooth shifting in any weather, and if you have the Getrag tranny noise, this fluid will lower it considerably.

I read once that Type F is essentially the same as Trick Shift and considerably cheaper. Anyone know if its true? <br>

'03 LS SPORT COUPE 5 SPEED black with teal/silver pinstripe
Wednesday, November 17, 2004 8:34 PM

I own a 98 Sunfire 2.2L manual transmission and I bought Redline MTL tranny fluid. It's a 70w-80 weight and if you call redline and give them the factory number of what the tranny fluid GM uses they will have the MTL as the equivalent however since its full synthetic it won't even be close to the stock fluid. Expect a small gain in mpg since the fluid will run smoother and take less to drive it. Hope this helps....I would go with one GM synchromesh fluid and one MTL. They are fully compatible and if you what some ever have a leak of any kind big or small it'll find it. Even with the 1:1 ratio...performance is up a bit as well as ease of shifting and quieter
Sunday, April 10, 2005 12:25 AM
i tried royal purple syncromesh and it was hard shift when it got below 40deg out side. so i went to mobil1 atf and it shifted alot better and smoother but as it got warmer it got notchey so i just changed to amsoil atf and it feels tons better than before. i think i have found the right fluid for me

see ya!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search