The "Help! I have no heat!" post - Page 3 - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Fan Motor
Wednesday, December 22, 2004 6:12 AM
This may sound like a stupid question but..

I have no heat and it was -37c the other day.

I also have no garage to work on my car. (98 z24)

My Blower works sometime so i want to replace it.

How do I get to it? any special tools or trick to remove it.

Thanx

mo

Wednesday, December 22, 2004 6:24 AM
Wednesday, December 22, 2004 9:19 AM
Thanx Chris...
I'll give it a go this afternoon!

- - - peter
Friday, December 24, 2004 7:43 PM
does the 2200 in a 99 sunfire really have 2 thermostats?
if so, it would solve a pain in my ass, if not, well then, I guess i'll try thermostat #4 for the week.
Sunday, December 26, 2004 10:19 PM
What does it mean when on the coldest of days, the blower fan doesn't start up unless you give it a tap with something hard. You don't have to hit the blower fan casing hard, just tap it, and it goes full force. Is that the bearing saying g'bye?

Also, being an extra cold day today, the fan decided to run at whatever strength it felt like. I had to tap it to get it going, then, even on full, would slow down. THEN, out of no where, even if stopped, it would crank up back to full again, then down, and so on , and so on.

So, had it gone out the door? And should I replace it or take it apart and lube it , or if I have to buy a new blower, are they expensive??? <br>

Old enough to know better, but young enough to not give a @!#$!
Sunday, January 02, 2005 12:20 AM
knight rider- your blower motor is going out. it has been gummed up or the bearings inside of it have been fried. this happened to my buddies blazer when we were three hours outside of town and were up skiing. it had been going out for a while and we always had to tap it with a wrench to get blowing. well on this particular day when we got done skiing it would not work at all so we had to drive into the town that the mountain was in and buy a small heater. the ones for like thirty bucks that are used for defrosting your windshield, and had to use that all the way back for heat. so my advise is to change the blower motor now before it completly goes out.

also a quick question, my guess is that it is the thermostat, my car takes forever to warm up, and when it finally does my heater blows warm but not like it used to the last few winters, i have checked the rad. level and topped it off tonight, i am not overheating, i don't even get up halfway like i used to, should i jump up to a 195 degree thermostat or should i stay at stock, and by the way what is stock temp of a thermostat? and do the 2.2 ohv's have two or one thermostat. and where are both located. thanks
Tuesday, January 04, 2005 6:39 PM
ok heres my problem. i bought like this. what would i have to do or fix if when i turn on my heat, nothing comes on at all?? no sounds or anything are made. there isnt any air flow. ive tried every combination of knobs and configurations. please help.
Thursday, February 03, 2005 5:59 AM
Here is my problem, i replace my thermostat because m car is over heating, now it takes my car forever to warm up and when i drive at speed arounf 40 0r 50 the temp drops way down and cold air blows out, and no matter what swtich postsion i put in on, air still blows out of the vents and on high it doesnt blow that hard... please help im freezing
Thursday, March 03, 2005 4:36 AM
I have a good tip to unclog your heater core. Get a washing machine hose cut it in half and place it on your garden hose. remove both heater core hoses stuff the washing machine hose in to the heat hose turn the faucit on. let run untill it flows clear water. Then remove and repeat in the other hose. if your washer hose keeps blowing out of the heater hose the clogg is pretty bad. Try compressed air, but be careful you don't want to blow the thing up. then do the water trick. It works great, I do it daily at work, and I've never blow a core yet,knock on wood. if if you do blow the heater core you we most likly going to replace it any way.

1979 Impala Sport Coupe Aeroback
Wednesday, August 17, 2005 5:11 PM
I get heat sometimes and other times no and i am leaking coolant

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Imports better know they drive on Domestic roads....
Re: The "Help! I have no heat!" post
Monday, December 05, 2005 9:59 AM
I'm having a similar problem. I put a new thermostat in this summer (180 degrees) . It ran fine in the summer. When it got cold my car would warm up correctly when sitting. When it would start to move the car would cool off and the heater would not blow warm air. I changed to another 180 thermostat. The car started to overheat then. I figured out that it was airlocked and used the bleeder valve on the coolant hardline to let it out. This fixed the overheating problem. The car is still heating up correctly when sitting and cooling off when driving. Could it still need bled more, are there any other spots to bleed it? Do you think changing to a 195 degree thermostat would take car of the problem?

Monday, December 05, 2005 10:23 AM
I forgot to ask on my last post, do 1999 Cavalier 2.2's have one thermostat or two. If it has two where are they located?
Friday, April 14, 2006 6:50 PM
So many posts yet none like this.

My car began to overheat when I am idling or at a low speed. I checked the engine bay and the cooling fan died (I know it did because I hooked it up directly to the battery when I took it out). I replaced it and still had the same problem.

Then I went and replaced the thermostat, turns out that was stuck *slightly* open. The car stopped over heating but still had another problem from the beginning.

Before changing anything and even now, the car will warm up and blow hot air as it should. That is until 170 degrees where it starts to blow much cooler (not cold) air.

My heater core was replaced last year over summer so I HOPE that is not it.
Thanks.

Friday, February 09, 2007 8:24 AM
ok ive read most of these posts but nome of them really relate to my problem my car is blowing warm air and on really cold days i just get cold air i replaced the thermostat twice and i just replaced the heater core but i still have the same problem. right now the top half of my dash is removed and when i place my hand into the dash by the heater core i noticed that toward the left side of my heater core i get hot air but on the right side i get cold air im curious to know if anyone else has had this problem and how dow did you fix it? thanks
Monday, February 26, 2007 9:12 AM
I am new to the site with my recently purchased 96 cav 2dr 2.2L; I am also a sucker to the blows cold air all the time and I will try the suggestions above and post how it goes.

Thanks,
Shawn
Re: The
Tuesday, February 27, 2007 5:37 AM
I found the problem!!! argh! When the previous owner said that the heater core was out, he emphasizes the word out as in its not in the car at all and it was bypassed!! He must have had a plugged heater core and decided to remove the plugged one and not install a new or remanufactured core.
Wednesday, April 11, 2007 9:59 AM
well lets see i have no leaks i can find .... but i can smeel it when i shut the car off....the first 2 settings of my heater switch don't work and when the car is warmed i get heat for like 50 seconds then it goes luke warm sometimes pure cold.. whats up with my car???

1995-z24

Drive Hard or Die Trying
Thursday, December 06, 2007 7:12 AM
I think I'm having a problem with my thermostat. My car takes a while to warm up. But I mean its damm cold out -20 through -25 Celsius with a slight wind chill meaning about -25 through -30 celsius.

I was driving my car yesterday and it finally got up to 1/2 temp (normal). It seems to take a while just getting up those last two or three little ticks on the gauge. And there is barely any heat up to that point when it start to blow warm even though the gauge says it's almost at half temp.

So I drove my car over to a friends house and it was almost at half temp and starting to blow HOT HOT air (almost right on half temp). Then I was parked in his driveway for about 5 minutes waiting for him and my temp gauge dropped 2-3 lines on the gauge and the air started to cool off. Why would the car cool off? Is my thermostat maybe stuck open? Not closed all the way?

Any help would be appriciated. I just had the thermostat replaced last winter. Could it be with the super charger on the car that it's sucking in to much cold air and making it harder for the engine to keep hotter?
Wednesday, December 26, 2007 4:12 PM
My cav was blowing cold air so i replaced thermostat (195) two times....now it overheating only good thing is it bolw hot air. Could it still need bled more or what?
Monday, December 15, 2008 10:16 PM
Hello I just replaced my thermostat in my 99 Sunfire 2200 SFI I have cold air blowing from the vents no Hot air what so ever and my engine heats up to the max to the red line before i replaced my thermostat I had heat but the heat was weak not very hot but it was good and also the temp of the car was good.

Note:I replaced the thermostat outside it was -29(no gloves) it took me like 1 hour and 20 mins. so any ideas?
Thursday, January 08, 2009 7:59 PM
just a little update sorta...

with the weather getting colder and the need to use heat I found it annoying to have to keep the air on the higher blower settings so I replaced the resistor as informed in this thread.. it worked..

heres the update I guess..

seams maybe gm got wise to the problem and did something about it..
instead of paying 30 dollers or more at a parts place when i was at the junk yard I pulled two from other cavs..one from a 98 and one from a 05.. the one from the 98 as I exspected didnt have the two lowest settings so i moved onto the 05 and it worked like a charm,.

gm seams to have changed the look of the resistor and added insulation to it...

the one on the left is the old 98 resistor and the one on the right is the new 05 resistor.. I assure anyone who has this problem if you swap to the 05 resistor it will work (unless its actually no good,obviously) save yourself 30 dollers and get it from a yard..Freeebie,,

Thursday, January 08, 2009 9:23 PM
sorry this got put in the wrong thred.. had two windows open at the time.. if a mod can remove it that would be greeeat...thanks and sorry again.

Thursday, October 07, 2010 2:22 PM
Heres my situation. Everything is fine, coolant, thermostat, etc. but when i turn my temp knob from cold to warm the cable that controls the vents gets bent, this is because it is getting stuck on something and i believe it to be in my front defroster. Before the front defroster didnt work so i pushed down on that flap and it works, but i took off my dash and everything and saw that something was getting stuck there. If i reach down and pull it up then it turns from cold air to warm no problem. Ideass? Thanks
Friday, October 05, 2012 10:11 AM
Hey guys, I have an overheating problem when I turn the heater or vent on in my car... I can't seem to find out what it is.. any suggestions???
Thanks!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search