alternator ???????? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
alternator ????????
Saturday, January 22, 2005 4:42 PM
I have a 2.2L and my alternator died due to the pulley kit i bought from mantapart awhile ago. i noticed the alternator wasnt doing its job when all my lights would dim and my stereo quit working. Well what i wouldlike to know is if anyone can tell me where i can buy a higher amp alternator. i have found a few places but only for a one wire 200w alternator, i dont need that much, i just want abou 80 or 105, i need help fast, cuz my car is just sitting right now until i get one. thanks.

Re: alternator ????????
Saturday, January 22, 2005 5:42 PM
eh...the alternator that comes with our J-body (the one with A/C) are 105 amp...
Saturday, January 22, 2005 6:11 PM
the alternator pulley slows down your alternator. not a good thing if you stereo or some sort of electronics in your car <br>

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Saturday, January 22, 2005 7:18 PM
actually, they are only a 45 amp alternator, i have been to almost 30 different places to find out info on this and they all say its only 45. if it was a 105, then i promise u i would have no problems with my alternator. i know with the aftermarket pulley it slows down the alternator, common sense says that, dimming lghts, not enough power generating, oh pulley slowing alternator down. this is why i would like to find a higher amp alternator so i can power the electronics. im not worried about the pulley to the new alternator, i know that it would screw that one up too, i will just have to buy a belt that would hopefully fit this application.
Saturday, January 22, 2005 8:37 PM
My bro's old 97 2.2 had a 105A alt... 45A? Not likely bro, this isn't a slant-6 in 1972..
Some schmuck at autozone told you it was pulling 45A at the time of the test maybe?

I do believe that the alt has it's rating listed on it's case, actually i'm pretty damn sure of it..
Go back to stock(pulley) and throw a new 105A in there, if you have problems then you have a monster of an amp pulling 200A at full tilt, or there's exposed/faulty/or otherwise flubbed up wiring... These alt are pretty tough. But like all things, they wear out..Especially when you put constant (higher than stock) loads on it from a system etc... <br>

''If life throws you a curve, pop the clutch and drift it!''
Saturday, January 22, 2005 10:33 PM
okay then i stand corrected, my apologies. well then i bring upon another question then. Has anyone bought the pulley kit from mantapart and experience the same problems? I still have the crank pulley from mantapart too. i got them both, one for the alt, and one for the crank. if i went to a higher amp alternator and kept the crank pulley on will i keep the same performance?
Sunday, January 23, 2005 6:35 AM
The pulleys are designed to slow down your accessories, so having one, or both, is going to cause your alternator to spin slower than it normally would, which inhibits it's performance. If you keep the pulleys on, a higher amp alternator should get you back to (or better than) the performance of stock alt with no pulleys, in theory. One other question, is are you really using the extra performance from the pulleys? If you aren't reallly using that extra bit of performance, but instead use a lot of accessories, loud system, lights, etc... then it might be a better option to ditch the pulleys. Since my system going in mine is going to draw (and the fact that I only have a 2.2 lol), I'm skipping the pulleys. <br>

Brakes? I thought that's what the trees were for.
Monday, January 24, 2005 9:24 AM
that is what i had assumed also, but i also checked, if i were to change the pulley on the higher amp alt, then the efficiency of that alt, will not be supplied as well as the pulley that is already on that alt. I dont have a huge system or a lot of lights and crap in my car. just a few that were running quite well on the setup that i had already with the stock alt. The pulleys help out alot. i guess now i just have to decide the best route to go. But first i still need some good places that sell a larger amp alt. Thanks for everyones help, if anyone can tip me off a few places to check, that would be cool. thnx.
Monday, January 24, 2005 3:33 PM
i saw some on ebay, they were 160A amp!
you should take a look.

<br>

Friday, February 18, 2005 9:41 AM
Okay, just thought i would bump this back up to the top, i am really needing some help finding a good deal on a good alternator that would work. Something bigger than stock but no bigger than like 150amp. I found one through powermaster for 250 bucks but i am want to search around some more and compare, see what i can find first before i dive into the first thing i see. If anyone can help please post something.
Friday, February 18, 2005 11:31 AM
I also have a mantapart pulley set, it came with a smaller crank pulley which slows down all the accessories on the belt system, but it also came with a smaller alt pulley which speeds the alt back up to normal speed. So unless you put a larger than stock pulley on the alt, I don't think it was the pulleys that did it, most likely it was just it's time. I think I had to replace my alt at around 55000 miles. To get the amps right you should load test the system with the car idling, stereo blasting, and all your other accessories running, then you'll have a much better idea of how many amps your alt needs to make at idle.

Saturday, February 19, 2005 7:17 AM
Okay, see i never knew what the alt pulley was suppose to do. I knew it had something to do with the charge. How do you do a load test and with what, i don't have anything that would test that. Thanks for the help Ben.
Thursday, March 03, 2005 1:15 PM
Well just to let ya'll know, i purchased a 160 amp alternator from motorcityreman.com they are incredible customer service, answered all of my questions, i will have pics of the alternator installed in a couple of days, i just got it put in today. The shipping was fast and the service was 100 percent, i highly recommend these guys if anyone is looking for a new alternator for there car.
Thursday, March 03, 2005 10:30 PM
summitracing.com has a very wide variety of powermaster alternators for the j's.
Friday, March 04, 2005 9:57 AM
i'd find a alternator repair shop and get the one you have rebuilt to higher spec.... the part that goes bad in them are easily replaceable and they can be buit to put out more power by replacing the voltage regulators.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search