VSS sensor problem? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
VSS sensor problem?
Tuesday, January 25, 2005 6:30 AM
Hi all,
New to this site, actually an Eclipse owner (420a-turbo), but have a 90 Cavvy with a 2.2 TBI automatic as a winter car. Yeah, it's a screamer.

Anyways, I noticed my TCC wasn't locking up, so I put my buddy's scanner on the car. Everything was fine, but it verified that the TCC wasn't locking up. However, I also noticed the VSS was reading rediculously low. Like, I'd be going 30, and it would read 4, or going 65 and reads 11. Soooooooo, I decided to replace the VSS sensor. Well, after that horrible experience, the problem is not fixed. It's doing exactly what it did before.

As I'm sure you know, the VSS sensor in my tranny has the speedo cable coming right off of it, and the speedo works fine--so the VSS gear and the diff/axle gear in the tranny are fine. Also, the wires and electrical connections looked good to the VSS.

Any clues or experience to this one?

I replaced the ECU a while ago since it had gone bad, and the car runs great, but won't lock the torque converter. I don't remember if it locked the converter before I replaced it.
Your thoughts are most welcome.

Brian

Re: VSS sensor problem?
Tuesday, January 25, 2005 10:19 AM
Come on guys, any suggestions?

Brian
Saturday, March 12, 2005 9:14 PM
maybe you got anotehr badd ecu?

Fireboy153
Brady Fire Co. - Station 150
Long Live The Sunflower! (yea its not so "cool")
Monday, March 14, 2005 4:23 AM
Hi Brian

I used this article by Chuck Kichline to replace the TCC solenoid on my '93 2.2 Cav.

My car came to a shuddering stop after an hour of freeway driving, classic symptoms of locked up solenoid.

Changed the solenoid and the problem was fixed.

Took me about an hour and a half in the warmer weather.

http://www.kichline.com/chuck/fiero/TCC.htm

I know it's not a Cav he is writing about but it reads pretty much the same.As you read through the article it actually states that if the TC will not lock up replace the pressure switch and the solenoid at the same time.

Hope this helps

Alont
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search