2001 cavalier driver side headlight and drl is out - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2001 cavalier driver side headlight and drl is out
Tuesday, February 01, 2005 4:20 PM
My girlfriend has a 2001 cavalier. I was trying to fix her driver side headlight last night because the low beams went out. So i went and bought a new bulb and took the headlight out and swapped the bulbs. I get in the thing start it and switch the headlights on...... nothing. So I am now pretty puzzled I put it in drive to see if the daytime running light works........nope just the passenger side. I flip the brights and........they both work fine. So at this point I figure it's got to be the DRL relay so I go to autozone and get a new one replace it and the damn thing still doesn't work. Whenever the car gets put into drive the service light flashes a few times letting me know that there is something wrong with the DRL. If the headlights are switched on before it's put into drive it doesn't flash or anything. I put a multi meter on the wires that the bulb plugs into. Get this when the headlights/daytime running lights are on there is no voltage anywhere on that plug. Once the brights are switched on I can measure voltage from the red wire to either of the blue wires.The wiring doesn't have any visible damage across the small section I could see. I'm pretty stumped but I can't justify taking the damn thing to the dealer for a headlight ya know.

Re: 2001 cavalier driver side headlight and drl is out
Tuesday, February 01, 2005 9:54 PM
Check your fuse panel...my friend had the same problem in his 00 cav....theres a fuse for each light...if it blows the DRL and lowbeam wont work! hope this helps
Wednesday, February 02, 2005 3:13 PM
Of course I checked the fuses before asking for help on here. It was the first thing I looked at. Anyone else have any ideas?
Tuesday, February 08, 2005 11:54 AM
A little help please!
Thursday, February 10, 2005 2:05 PM
Well the cavy is in the shop. So far the trouble codes are telling us that the bcm has lost communication with the ecu and there is lamp generator error code? Sounds @!#$ expensive! I'm pretty pissed I think this thing is pretty poorly built. So much for getting to install air ride on my 93 blazer soon
Wednesday, February 16, 2005 8:55 PM
jon, any feedback on the issue here? i have a 2001 cavalier doing the same thing now. what did the shop say was the problem?

Peace Out!!!
Wednesday, February 16, 2005 10:41 PM
BCM is messed up. Probably caused by the ground block under the battery being all oxidized and shorted. Had to bypass the BCM because it's monitoring of the lights isn't worth the money. Cost to much just to rig it the right way. Good luck my mechanic almost couldn't figure it out. BCM is had to diagnose.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search