How often should you have the fuel injectors clean - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How often should you have the fuel injectors clean
Friday, February 11, 2005 1:52 AM
I have an 04 Cavalier coupe
2.2l ecotec automatic.
it has about 33,000 miles on it.
how often should the fuel injectors be cleaned?

Re: How often should you have the fuel injectors clean
Friday, February 11, 2005 4:09 PM
Put some fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank and run that tank out before you do an oil change. That way any of the stuff from the fuel injector cleaner that gets into the oil is removed. Once every 3000 miles seems to work out about right.
Re: How often should you have the fuel injectors clean
Saturday, February 12, 2005 3:13 PM
yeah 3k miles or every couple months sounds good to me.

Join verbalwarfare.com

http://www.verbalwarfare.com/forum.php?referrerid=86

Re: How often should you have the fuel injectors c
Sunday, February 13, 2005 8:01 AM
I run injector cleaner every 10k and replace the fuel filter every 20-25k, run some seafoam through there

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Sunday, February 13, 2005 8:13 AM
What has been mentioned already.

Run a can of GM Top Engine Cleaner (GM's equivilant of Seafoam).
Run some Fuel Injector cleaner (crap you put in your gas tank)
Change the fuel filter (would only do this as per GM's maintenance schedule)

Afterwards, run the piss out of her on the highway.

Toronto Street Racing | J-Body club of Ontario | J-Body Tech Library
Equality is a Prescription, Not a Description. Learn the Difference, Newbs.
Sunday, February 13, 2005 3:12 PM
Jim wrote:Put some fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank and run that tank out before you do an oil change. That way any of the stuff from the fuel injector cleaner that gets into the oil is removed. Once every 3000 miles seems to work out about right.

If your fuel is mixing with your oil, the least of your problems is going to be fuel injectors. The fuel additive stuff is highly corrosive and will eat up your injectors with repeated use.

I wouldn't worry about getting the injectors cleaned untill about 100,000 miles. Send them off and have them professionally cleaned. Use the additive if it makes you feel better, but its not going to work very well.

Sunday, February 13, 2005 8:30 PM
Never heard that fuel injector cleaner will hurt your injectors. I would say that a good brand name is the way to go.
When my performance is down I either run it hard on the open road to clean the injectors out.
Unfortunately some people don't have a country road to let their engine run wide open to clean out the injectors. Most people just put fuel injector cleaner in their gas tank instead to avoid tickets if they are caught.

Personally I only use fuel injector cleaner when I feel that a fairly hard run didn't get the job done. If I still have sluggish performance I will try a fuel injector cleaner. I don't always use a fuel injector cleaner every 3 thousand miles if the engine is running good.

Before an oil change is a good time to add fuel injector cleaner because that is what some of the additives say in their directions. I know Valvoline fuel injector cleaner says this in their directions on the bottle.
If you can get by with out fuel injector cleaner then you are driving it to keep things running at their optimum then that is the best way to go. Most people in stop and go traffic can't let their engine get cleaned up all that easy in the less than optimum situations.
Sunday, February 13, 2005 9:22 PM
I personally have started using either Prestone or STP fuel injector cleaner and oil treatment, everytime I change my oil 2500-3000 miles is when I change it and put the additives in, and I been doing it for about 6 months now......no problems so far.....but I also never heard that fuel injector will eat up your fuel injectors, but I have heard opinions on it, some say it don't work and some swear by it......so at the end its your decision.
Sunday, February 13, 2005 9:29 PM
Jim wrote:Never heard that fuel injector cleaner will hurt your injectors. I would say that a good brand name is the way to go.
When my performance is down I either run it hard on the open road to clean the injectors out.
Unfortunately some people don't have a country road to let their engine run wide open to clean out the injectors. Most people just put fuel injector cleaner in their gas tank instead to avoid tickets if they are caught.

Personally I only use fuel injector cleaner when I feel that a fairly hard run didn't get the job done. If I still have sluggish performance I will try a fuel injector cleaner. I don't always use a fuel injector cleaner every 3 thousand miles if the engine is running good.

Before an oil change is a good time to add fuel injector cleaner because that is what some of the additives say in their directions. I know Valvoline fuel injector cleaner says this in their directions on the bottle.
If you can get by with out fuel injector cleaner then you are driving it to keep things running at their optimum then that is the best way to go. Most people in stop and go traffic can't let their engine get cleaned up all that easy in the less than optimum situations.

Running your car wide open will not clean out the injectors. Gasoline doesnt have enough detergency to disolve the deposits on the injectors. Also FYI, injector cleaner brands will tell you to use a bottle every 10 minutes if they could. Injector cleaner is not benificial to use every oil change. They tell you to do so just to get money out of you and as a reference so you do it in intervals. The best do it yourself injector cleaner is seafoam. Just use that once every 50,000 or so. And some time near 100,000 have them cleaned by a professional.
Sunday, February 13, 2005 10:33 PM
What is seafoam and where do you get it?
Monday, February 14, 2005 9:34 AM
im at 40000 and never have run injector cleaner on my 2000 2200 sounds like i should huh?

wikkymaster <<-

check out my blogs!
Gov't Auto Auction

How I Stopped Smoking

Easy online cash

UNLIMITED streaming online movies

Monday, February 14, 2005 2:06 PM
Taken from http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/Fuel_LubricantData.html

There are many other injector cleaners out there, some may be okay, especially for routine use. Just be sure to avoid the cheaper, older solvent based cleaners that might attack the fuel system and injector seals. Periodic use of additives (like every year or so) should be the most that's necessary if you use quality gas, your engine is properly tuned and you do a reasonable amount of highway driving. If you buy cheaper gas with minimal additives or lower octane than the engine requires or if you do strictly stop and go driving, then more frequent use (like every few months) may be required.

And it does say that about 25% of additives go back up into the crankcase. I didn't think it would be nearly that high. So for those of you that like to use sea foam or GM top end cleaner I would suggest that you run the car for a few minutes afterward and then change your oil.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search