The Mystery of the Disappearing Coolant - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
The Mystery of the Disappearing Coolant
Sunday, February 13, 2005 2:29 PM
Here's the short of it....

Coolant in my white 98 Z goes missing. There are no drops of coolant on the ground. Car can go two to four WEEKS and the coolant level in the resevoir stays the same. Then, BAM, it's gone.... light comes on, gotta refill.

On a recent trip from Central Cali to LA, to San Diego, back LA, then back home I had to top off the car's coolant four times (I refill when the light comes on). That's about 700 miles total. Car drank about 2 bottles of 50/50 mix. I last refilled it this past Tuesday, and as of this morning, it's all still there.

I don't know... what would cause the spontaneous loss of coolant? Further, we park the car on a really clean driveway, and there are NO stains from any coolant ever being spilled.

I ran some experiments this morning, letting the car idle in the driveway till the fan came on. Nothing. Nothing's dripping from the exhaust, either.

---

Re: The Mystery of the Disappearing Coolant
Sunday, February 13, 2005 3:34 PM
My 98 did that exact thing. Turns out a bracket had broken and was slowly rubbing through the radiator. The coolant wouldn't drain out when the car was sitting, only running. Then up one day the bracket punched the radiator and all the coolant drained out.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Monday, February 14, 2005 6:07 AM
my 98 2200 has been doing the same thing for the past 2 weeks. I let it sit in the driveway this whole weekend and this morning when i moved it i saw a small amount coolant on the driveway. Now i have to figure out where it's coming from; i know that it's not from the radiator b/c i saw a drip hanging from the front of the motor.
Monday, February 14, 2005 6:48 AM
F it. Let it drain and just keep refilling it. It's not like our cars are worth anything anyway.
And yes, I'm having the same problem.

Monday, February 14, 2005 11:07 AM
Check your oil too! U may find coolant in the wrong place due to a head gasket blown or worn, but usually u tend to leak more coolant to the ground in that citation.

Check Out My Domain Page!!!
Monday, February 14, 2005 12:46 PM
Could be head gasket or intake gasket so your coolant could be being burned and you'll never see it. If it gets bad enough you may see white smoke or even smell it out the exhaust.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search