How to Change Spark Plugs.....2002 Cavalier Ecotec - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How to Change Spark Plugs.....2002 Cavalier Ecotec
Sunday, February 13, 2005 3:03 PM
I was wondering how do u change your spark plugs on a 2002 Cavalier Ls Sport w/ an Ecotec.......maybe a dumb question but never done it before and my car got about 44,000 miles on it and I already changed the fuel filter, so do u guys suggest changing spark plugs when I reach 50,000 miles or just do it now and which brand is top quaility??????Thanxs! What other maintenances should I consider doing to keep my car running smoothly?

Re: How to Change Spark Plugs.....2002 Cavalier Ecotec
Sunday, February 13, 2005 4:36 PM
50k is a good time to change the plugs. factory says 100k but they rarely last that long. as far as how to change them...
1) remove coil pack from cam/valve cover
2)remove plugs from head
installation is the reverse of removal...would also be a good idea to use a little anti-seize on the plug threads...makes em easier to remove next time. also DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN the plugs. snug them with a ratchet. it is very easy to strip out an aluminum head. just about any good brand of plugs will do. ac delco is your safest bet. some people go with NGK or iriduim plugs if they are running lots of mods, boost, or n2o. also heard alot of people on here complaining about the bosch +4...so you might be best to avoid those.

Join verbalwarfare.com

http://www.verbalwarfare.com/forum.php?referrerid=86

Sunday, February 13, 2005 9:13 PM
So is it under the ECOTEC cover, b/c I searched the org and someone stated that if u had 2.2 it's right in front of you and I couldn't see it, so I'm pretty sure its under the valve cover.....any website anyone could show me that can tell me how-to change it step by step, cause I heard that it was easy, then I heard horror stories when u do it the wrong way, so I just want to be on the safe side? Thanx!
Monday, February 14, 2005 8:04 AM
Acdelco Platiumn is the best bang for ur buck here hey, from what I seen here...
Re: How to Change Spark Plugs.....2002 Cavalier Ec
Monday, February 14, 2005 3:10 PM
On an ecotec you will need a 10mm socket 4 bolts on the black cover on top the motor and one on the right side for the throttle wire guide then just pull up you'll hear a little suck pop sound as they come off, take a spark plug socket which i believe is 5/8 and then unbolt all of them and put in the new ones then just put on the cover and tighten everything up again.

I'm on my 3rd set of plugs because i screwed up gapping the 2nd set im running denso irriduims but the stock plugs are supposed to be designed to go 100k before ever needing replaced, so I would consider it purely optional at this point

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Monday, February 14, 2005 5:12 PM
Don't fix what is not broke, best advice I can give.
Friday, May 04, 2007 4:17 PM
Hey guys

I'l be changing my plugs around the 50K mark myself. I figure new plugs will give a bit more power and fuel econemy. (Hey, can't hurt What do you guys do to make sure dirt doesn' t fall into the engine when you change the plugs?

Walt
Friday, May 04, 2007 5:14 PM
i changed mine at like 75k but only cuz of oil in cylinders from wreck bad deal very bad deal

2004 Cavalier, 2.2 ecotec, 5spd getrag
do you ever notice that the ones who talk the loudest have the least to talk about?
Friday, May 04, 2007 5:24 PM
Click here for a nice detailed how to with pictures

Best quarter mile to date - 15.750 @ 85.82
"We ride together, we die together. Bad Boys for life"

Nimbus 9, some friends of my that rock! Click and experience them for yourself
Saturday, May 05, 2007 7:59 AM
How do I gap the plugs. I know how to change them I just can't gap 'em? do you have to use some sort of tool or can you do it in a simple "poor man's" way?

It beats a Honda!
Saturday, May 05, 2007 3:27 PM
the guage costs about $2 at an autoparts store.

Best quarter mile to date - 15.750 @ 85.82
"We ride together, we die together. Bad Boys for life"

Nimbus 9, some friends of my that rock! Click and experience them for yourself

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 10:19 PM
I bought these AC Delco Iridium tip spark plugs and now my car like barely runs? What is the stock spark plug used in the ecotec 2.2 cavalier? If this isnt the case anyone have any ideas?
Thursday, June 21, 2007 4:45 AM
That is the only AC Delco Spark Plug made for our cars. I installed the same ones and seen my mpg going up....most likely because the tips were almost gone on the factory ones. The factory ones were Ac Delco but I think they had a different number, which is odd since i've check out acdelco.com and the iridium spark plugs are the only option for our engine.
Later
Redrider02

"big boom big boom"-Adam Savage. "quack damn you"-Jamie Hyneman "mythbusters"
Thursday, June 21, 2007 4:46 AM
P.S.
Did you gap them before installing them?
Later
Redrider02

"big boom big boom"-Adam Savage. "quack damn you"-Jamie Hyneman "mythbusters"
Thursday, June 21, 2007 9:42 AM
They are already pre gapped arent they, but just in case i took them out and gapped them to make sure, i put them back in and my car is still running crappy. Does anyone know the part # for the stock plugs out of the ecotec cavalier?
Thursday, June 21, 2007 10:07 PM
U wish they were pre-gapped. U get the gap tool at Advanced Auto, they usu. have a ton of them for like $0.49 at the counter.

------------------------------------
We all drive in a yellow Cavalier...
Wednesday, August 08, 2007 5:25 AM
What is the correct gap size for the ecotec spark plugs?

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/676422/1
Wednesday, August 08, 2007 5:27 AM
Nevermind, found it!

1.14 mm (0.045 in)

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/676422/1
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search