Starter WHAT THE F...... - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Starter WHAT THE F......
Tuesday, February 15, 2005 7:03 PM
Well it only happens sometime and it seems like if i have the gas depressed lots this won't happen but anywyas.

I go to start my car and when i go to turn it on the starter works fine and dandy rolls engine over but it all of a sudden disengages and just spins freely, sometimes its takes me a few minutes of trying over and over again for it to actually roll engine over enough times to start. Seems like its not locking in engine for long enough.

-Z

Re: Starter WHAT THE F......
Wednesday, February 16, 2005 1:46 AM
I don't think the gas depressed has anything to do with it.
I would first take the battery off and have it checked at Advance Auto or equivalent.
Wednesday, February 16, 2005 7:35 AM
if the starter is spinning but NOT engaging with the engine, it sounds like the bendix in the starter itself is gone, you need to have the starter rebuilt or buy and install a new one..

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence you tried!
Wednesday, February 16, 2005 8:05 AM
had the same problem in my sunbird (which if u have a sunbird and the starters bad, its better just to by another car then replace it) i used to try and start my car 20-30 times.

your starters is slipping, get a new one. 2 bolts a wire or two, and your golden.

-Borsty
Thursday, February 17, 2005 5:34 PM
Cool well i know the batteries fine because i just replaced my battery a couple weeks ago, so i heard that i can get a starter kit that just replaces some of the internals and it should work fine again. any thoughts.

-Z
Thursday, February 17, 2005 8:30 PM
dont bother with the starter kit. just get a new one.

-Borsty
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search