Need to turn of Traction Control - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Need to turn of Traction Control
Thursday, February 17, 2005 8:48 PM
I have a 2000 Cavalier, 2.2L. I'm wondering if anyone knows how to turn off traction control on it. It's incredibly irritating in winter, because whenever I'm trying to gain up some speed to get through a drift or something, the tires start spinning, the "Traction" light comes on, and the wheels slow down, thus killing my momentum, and thus leaving me screwed. So, anyone know where the little switch is?

Re: Need to turn of Traction Control
Thursday, February 17, 2005 9:25 PM
Pull the e-brake up one notch.

Friday, February 18, 2005 8:32 AM
Well, I suppose that's a quick fix, but no one knows of any switch to perminately turn it off until I turn it back on?

Friday, February 18, 2005 9:18 AM
Automatic Sunfires are supposed to have switches for them and I know that Grand Am's have switches for it (on the gear selector). I always thought it was weird that Chevrolet did not include this feature on their cars but apparently they do not. With a little know how, someone could probably create a switch like that so someone might have done it before.

"I count him braver who overcomes his
desires than him who conquers his enemies.
For the hardest victory is the victory over self."
- Aristotle

Friday, February 18, 2005 12:30 PM
im sure that if the other cars already have a switch, and the cav uses the same system as the others, just look at the wiring diagrams from the other cars and run you own toggle switch.

2004 Cavalier, 2.2L Ecotec
1965 El Camino, 396 BBC, 14:1, 800 BHP
Friday, February 18, 2005 1:59 PM
Shift it to first or second.
Friday, February 18, 2005 3:22 PM
I've already looked into a permanent type switch. Your options are:

Swap the EBCM from a sunfire in or put a swith into the wire of your ebrake and ground it out-- tricking your computer into thinking the ebrake is up.

Friday, February 18, 2005 6:55 PM
Joe4 is right - from what I've read. I have the service manuals for 2002, and it mentions that if the shifter is placed into position "2" (4-speed auto), the traction control will be disabled. My car is a 5 speed Sunfire, so I can't really try it myself! If it does work, the Trac Off light should come on at the time to indicate it.
I still think that it's unbelievable that GM would be cheap enough to not install that switch in the Chevys. I guess that's one of the reasons they had the Cavaliers priced a few hundred less than the Sunfires.

http://registry.gmenthusiast.com/images/2002sunfiresl/Modified%20sunfire2.jpg
Friday, February 18, 2005 9:18 PM
Ok guys, well, thanks for the input. Making my own switch and whatnot is out of my leauge, so I suppose I'll just pull up on the e-brake one notch whenever I want to race, or do anything in winter. Thanks!

Saturday, February 19, 2005 1:27 PM
put it in a low gear.

-Borsty
Saturday, February 19, 2005 1:35 PM
my friends 2000 sedan has a switch for it on his shifter and its a cav. Im sure it wont be hard to wire one up man. And were all here to help you out

Saturday, February 19, 2005 9:11 PM
get a B&M Shift plus--- you can turn your traction control off at the flick of a switch, but it also increases the amount of pressure in the tranny lines, which eliminates hesitation between shifts.

Sunday, February 20, 2005 11:32 AM
I thought that's why the traction was disabled for first and second gear, in case of winter and you're trying to actually move it will disable the traction so the wheels will continue to spin until you gain traction.

Otherwise, why would they disable it? It's not like you're going to get any wheel spin shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear.

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 10:59 PM
probably not the best advice.... but.... you could always disconnect all the abs sensors ... hehe. and see if that works. But then there's the problem with losing the abs as well. maybe not the best idea.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search