2.2L rebuild - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.2L rebuild
Friday, February 18, 2005 9:54 AM
I have a 97 Pontiac sunfire 2.2L auto. The motor right now has about 95,000 miles on it, and I think it is time for a motor rebuild. I'm thinking about just buying another motor and working on it while I still have my car. This is where my first question comes in. I know a 95-97 2.2 will bolt right up to my transmission, ECU, and wire harness but can a 98-99 motor do the same thing. I know this is a very stupid question to be asking but I just want to double check. I would also like to know if there is any other motor that will bolt up to the transmission with using the same ECU. I know the 3.1 will but you need to modify the wire harness. And if anybody knows how much do you guys think just a simple rebuild would run not counting extra goodies I would throw in.

Re: 2.2L rebuild
Friday, February 18, 2005 8:54 PM
I think the the 2.2l motor changed in 98-99 (to the 2200 I believe) so there may be some things that need to be changed. I wouldnt bother with swapping a 3.1 in there,that would be a step backwards. If you want a v6 then go for a 3400 or 3800 S/C.

As for the price of a rebuild,in my old car I had a leaking head gasket and no oil leaking whatsoever and I was quoted $3000 CDN to have my motor rebuilt. My car had 280,000km on it so that maybe have added to the price but the engine itself ran the same way it did when we bought it.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search