was going to purchase Cavalier RS, 91, 3.1L but... - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
was going to purchase Cavalier RS, 91, 3.1L but...
Saturday, February 19, 2005 3:04 PM
So I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, or if I even should be, but...

I haven't owned a car in a few years, so I decided it was about time. Looking around the usual places I wound up finding something. It was a 91 Cavalier 3.1L, 2 door, 5 speed. When I went to look at it, the guy said there was a new engine in there, replaced in 2001. He had said he used the car just to commute to and from work for a while. I guess he got another vehicle and this one became parked outside. As far as I can tell, he had it parked out there all winter, and maybe some of last summer.

So when I got there, he said he had moved it from the front of the hosue into the garage and it started up on the first time. However, when I took it for a test drive i thought I stalled it (haven't driven a standard in a little while) so I pushed the clutch in and tried to started it again. It didn't turn over. I'm not sure if i touched the gas at all at this point (used to doing so in other cars), but this engine is of course multi-port injection. Anyway, after it died we pushed it off to the side of the road and tried to start it a few more times, to no avail. When I put the ignition into ON, I heard the (fuel?) pump I believe.

Basically, this car is a crazy good deal @ 1200 CDN, the exterior is nice and the interior is equally nice. I'm just curious what this kind of problem could be indicative of? I mean, I don't want to buy the car and find out I need to spend another 1000 bucks in repairs.. I dunno, anyone have any input?

Re: was going to purchase Cavalier RS, 91, 3.1L bu
Saturday, February 19, 2005 3:07 PM
Ugh I forgot to mention, When we were trying to start it, it -almost- sounded like it was going to kick over, but it never got there. I even gave it a little case when it was trying. Basically it would turn over a few times but not catch.
Saturday, February 19, 2005 5:08 PM
i read my own post and it seemed vague so i just wanted to post my questions

I just would like to know if this kind of behavior (not turning over after driving a little bit) would be indicative of engine problems down the line, or more so because the car was sitting outside in the cold for months and months.
Saturday, February 19, 2005 7:38 PM
A 'quick' fix for damp wires and plugs is silicone spray, also WD-40.....

It may be worth trying....
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search