A really stupid question about head gaskets - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
A really stupid question about head gaskets
Saturday, February 19, 2005 11:57 PM
What is the difference between a blown headgasket and a cracked headgasket? And is there a do it yourself test for it?

Re: A really stupid question about head gaskets
Sunday, February 20, 2005 7:52 AM
I think the real way of defining it is a non leaking head gasket vs. a leaking one, usually you can see white @!#$ in your oil that means coolant is mixing with your oil, or you will start to get a BAD knock and all kinda white crap pours out the exhaust and your low coolant light comes on

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Sunday, February 20, 2005 1:19 PM
uhmmm....

let me think of how to answer this question...

Okay./

Head gaskets don't actually blow unless you are running high on NOS and you blow your engine and your head gasket blows with the engine block and engine head, rods and everything else.. causing some serious damage to your engine...

a cracked head is when one small part of the head gasket its got a leak because its cracked... usually they crack between cylinder..#2 and #3 and that's when Coolant gets mixed up with Oil...
or you can have an external leack and the head gasket is cracked on the outside/edge of the head and causing coolant to come out on the engine's head. one small crack can cause your engine to overheat.

anyhow,
I just made that up.. but that's all I can think of right now.

Sunday, February 20, 2005 1:37 PM
You can check for a leaking gasket with a compression tester. I have never done it myself but the basic concept is, you disconnect your spark, insert this gauge into a spark plug hole and turn the engine over. A good cylinder will hold the pressure for a certain amount of time, a bad one will leak out quicker than normal. You would have to find the specs for your car.

You won't necessarily find coolant in your oil, that will only happen if the leak is near a coolant and cylinder separation. If the leak is between the cylinder and the outside air you won't get it.
Sunday, February 20, 2005 4:04 PM
you dont have to have nitrous to blow a head gasket, 3 cars in our family within the past 4 years blew them, none of us are boosted all NA engines, usually its just from mileage and age

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Sunday, February 20, 2005 7:30 PM
or if you over heat it .
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search