What does ETS off mean? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
What does ETS off mean?
Thursday, February 17, 2005 4:37 PM
Im not a newb but my best friends car has this light on. i drove it to fill it up with gas fro her while she was working. Im just wondering what this means and if its a bad thing. i think its a 96 and it is an auto, i read somehting on here from searching about a button but hers doesnt have anythign on the shifter. Her engine light right next to it is on too. so any help let me know. Thanks in advance.

Re: What does ETS off mean?
Thursday, February 17, 2005 5:26 PM
Enhanced Traction System, I don't think that it's a bad thing, it's probably just turned off. I never seen an auto Sunfire/Cavalier yet so I might be wrong. I don't know if it's related to the Check Engine light though, doubt it. Pull the code and see.

Jay

One huge aluminum wing - $200
More vinyl graphics than your ride can handle - $150
Decals for products you don’t even have - $10
500lbs of Car Audio equipment in the trunk - $1500
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Getting slaughtered by a KIA - Priceless
Thursday, February 17, 2005 10:00 PM
If its a sunfire I believe theres a button on the right side of the steering wheel in the same general location as the center heater vents and the cd player/hvac area,but I havent seen the inside of a sunfire for awhile. On a cavalier you'd have to pull the e-brake up one click to disable it and turn that light on.

As for it being on it just means that the car was losing traction so traction control kicked on to try and keep the car stable.
Friday, February 18, 2005 4:15 PM
Well I'm assuming its a sunfire correct? Also cavys never have the actual option of turning the ETS off by a switch. But all 95-99 S/F auto autos had the ETS on/off button on the shifter, the 00-05 have it on the dash to the left of the steering wheel. I'm guessing that if her car is a S/F the shift knob was replaced at sometime with a newer model one that didn't have the button hence the light being on. or if it's a Cavy her E-brake may be pulled up slightly or there may be a prob with the switch/sensor located in the below the E-brake in the center counsole.....

Brawn: actaully if you lose traction and your ETS is on it will indicate it by showing the "low trac" light on the dash.....

Later
Skinny J

Tara, I will love and miss you forever, you will never be forgotten
http://tara-nagel.memory-of.com/

Friday, February 18, 2005 5:02 PM
It is also caused by a vacuum leak. Mine was doing it and I had a vacumm line with a slit in it. It also may be caused by the gas cap ( sounds dumb) but I did a lot of research when mine was doing it and gm said it could be the gas cap.
Hope it helps
Friday, February 18, 2005 8:44 PM
Its a cavalier sorry. and its not the gas cap because i filled it up. the shifter is stock, and no button. ill check for vacuum leaks. but would a vacuum leak cause the ETS to turn off? ill get the code scanned for her soon to see what it says.

Saturday, February 19, 2005 3:01 AM
yeap......vaccuum leak caused my check engine light and ets off lights to pop on
Sunday, February 20, 2005 11:40 AM
its off when you use the e-brake no switch

Monday, February 21, 2005 6:04 AM
RED Z wrote:It is also caused by a vacuum leak. Mine was doing it and I had a vacumm line with a slit in it. It also may be caused by the gas cap ( sounds dumb) but I did a lot of research when mine was doing it and gm said it could be the gas cap.
Hope it helps
joe smith wrote:yeap......vaccuum leak caused my check engine light and ets off lights to pop on

My auto 99 Z. ETS off light came on yesterday(no c.e.l.), and i heard before it could be from a vacuum leak. Do either one of you know which line would/could be leaking from?

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, February 21, 2005 7:53 AM
i was workin on my car yesterday (removed TB and intake, etc) and i got the CEL and ETS OFF lights when i started the car back up after putting it all together, turns out a tricky little vacuum line wasn't connected.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search