vavle slap/knock? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
vavle slap/knock?
Tuesday, February 22, 2005 11:54 AM
How the hell do i go about fixing this? Dealership claims its normal.. when thats bull@!#$!

Re: vavle slap/knock?
Tuesday, February 22, 2005 11:57 AM
yea, ive had 2 2.2's and both do it, i hate it

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 12:18 PM
Darn it all! What the hell causes it to do it when it first starts up? If i change the valves will that cause it to go away? I've seen a set on Karo's website for 100 bucks. The normal sized , not 1mm oversized. Possibly the bolts on the rocker arms just need to be re-torqued down or off?

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 1:26 PM
Yup, the 2.2s (not sure about the 2.4) are notorious for valve knocking when they start up. It happens more when they are cold, but it should go away when the engine warms up. Not much you can do.

I guess it’s just one of those S.O.L. things,

Jay

One huge aluminum wing - $200
More vinyl graphics than your ride can handle - $150
Decals for products you don’t even have - $10
500lbs of Car Audio equipment in the trunk - $1500
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Getting slaughtered by a KIA - Priceless
Tuesday, February 22, 2005 7:23 PM
Yes it does go away after about 30sec ti 1 min. Does anyone know what causes this to occur? Didn't do this last winter so thats why i am concerned. It only has 55K rounded up and its a 99.

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 7:27 PM
VW's 2.0 liter engine is the same way, horrible noises first start up after an oil change, well first start up after sitting period, over time the engine gets louder and louder, it sounds like its about to let go at high rpm but in fact it IS normal on that engine

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 7:34 PM
I plan on runnin boost not this summer but next summer and this is making me leary of doing it because of it. Its not so bad when its above 50 degrees and isn't even there to my knowledge. Grrrrrrrrrrrr

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 7:34 PM
I think that it's due to the fact that that the oil is at the bottom of the engine when you start up. It takes those 30 seconds to a minute for the oil to get up to the top of the engine and lube it up. Unless you get some instant high flow oil pump, I don't know what else you could do. Mine shuts up after 30 seconds so it doesn't bother me that much.

However, if you do get the noise down, let us know how. I'd be interested.

Jay

One huge aluminum wing - $200
More vinyl graphics than your ride can handle - $150
Decals for products you don’t even have - $10
500lbs of Car Audio equipment in the trunk - $1500
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Getting slaughtered by a KIA - Priceless
Tuesday, February 22, 2005 9:15 PM
I'd like to figure this out myself. At times i wonder if its my power steering pump/pully? because its on that side of the head and a screw driver confirms that. I just need to have spring and the warm weather get its butt her asap!

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 10:06 PM
dont u guys mean a lifter clacking?

try using higher weight oil.

-Borsty
Tuesday, February 22, 2005 10:21 PM
It is valve tapping. The way to fix is it by adjusting the valve lash back to stock specs. If it didn't come tapping off the showroom floor then it is not NORMAL. Even if it is common it is still not safe.

Cardomain|Myspace

Wednesday, February 23, 2005 9:16 AM
I jsut checkedupon it on ALLDATA. It says that teh hydtraulic lifters are not adjustable and should self-fixany valve lash problems. Try this though. Take off your vlave cover and then loosen the rocker arms. Retighten them to 22 ft/lbs and see if that fixes the problem. That is the only thing I can think of. You may also want to try experimenting with different weights of oil.

Cardomain|Myspace

Wednesday, February 23, 2005 9:27 AM
welcome to the wonderfull world of 2.2L OHV. thats there main problem with the head gasket. Its perfectly normal says GM and I know it doesnt. Thats why i change my Cavy for numerous repair in 1 year total cost of repair 10 000$. Basicly the 2 major problem was on warranty. And 1 was not.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

My Car Specs
Club J-Body Montreal Forums
Wednesday, February 23, 2005 10:08 AM
^^ Thats dosn't make sense to me man.

Josh- I'll have to try that. Last time i had the oppertunity to have it looked at by the dealership they said i needed to have it in at when the open at 8. I was in there at 11am asking for serive and they close at 7Pm. I love the bull@!#$ they try pulling there and it would be an hr diagnostic fee.. they had plenty of time. O well i will use that excuse though. It didn't come like that.

Thursday, February 24, 2005 7:07 AM
Well its at the dealership now so lets see what my extended warrenty can buy for me.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search