Not sure what i did exactly - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Not sure what i did exactly
Tuesday, February 22, 2005 10:31 PM
Ok im probably what alot of you consider a newb when it comes to knowledge on how things work in my car....Had an experience the other day and figured id toss it here as well as the newbie forum (hardly any replies)

I have an 02' Z24 w/ GM Charger/Autotrans Interceptor, other various mods...
My engine was about halfway to being warmed up and i was merging onto the highway (laid into it). When it went to shift from 1st to 2nd it just stayed at redline and then made the most awful sound as it revved down (lost all acceleration)...sounded like my car was farting very rapidly until i finally pulled over and shut her down.

I figured maybe i flooded it so i wait about 5 min and restart it and it seems everything is fine. Its been 2 nights now and I havent had any obvious stuff happen such as smoke, hole in my block, etc. But it isnt running as fast as it did before and the sound is 10x's quieter than it ever was...(3" catback quadtip magnaflow exhaust/rksport ceramic header). Now when it winds up all i hear is the electronic sounding crap (kinda like an RC Car) rather than the usual deep throaty exhaust scaring everyone out of my way.

Im taking it over to my dads tomorrow to flush the tranny out and do some other things..Any advice on what i should check? Maybe the sparkplugs? Header might of broke off the mount causing the sound loss?

Any Help/Advice appreciated...and if anyone lives within reasonable distance from frederick, md ill pay you to look at my car and help me make it run better!

Oh btw, only 28k miles on it.

Re: Not sure what i did exactly
Wednesday, February 23, 2005 6:34 AM
wait ..you don't hear your exhaust anymore?..all u hear is the supercharger?
Wednesday, February 23, 2005 11:29 AM
Basically, well usually when i give it gas i can hardly hear the S/C whine, all i hear is the deep throaty exhaust. But lastnight the exhaust was very quiet, while the S/C sounded like an RC car on crack.

All im trying to figure out is if in fact all i did was flood it, aka i dont need to fix anything.
Wednesday, February 23, 2005 6:14 PM
Anyone ever had this happen or a similar experience? Im trying to figure out what to check on, IE: Spark plugs, Engine components, Fuel Filter, Tranny, etc...

Its really running like crap now, the sound is very different...performance is about the same but the sound is really horrific. It also idles lower and hesitates sometimes like it wants to cut off.
Wednesday, February 23, 2005 6:43 PM
Sounds like something fuel related to me. Maybe your Supercharger was pulling too much fuel for the pump? Maybe try this in the boost forum...

"I count him braver who overcomes his
desires than him who conquers his enemies.
For the hardest victory is the victory over self."
- Aristotle

Wednesday, February 23, 2005 7:11 PM
Pull your spark plugs. It sounds to me like you predetonated and blew off a piece of a plug. If so it would bust up the inside of your cat and clogged it all up. That would explain pretty much everything. Knock sensor would throw massive, massive timing retard into the picture which is why it revved down like that and it would also explain why it was fine again when you restarted it, and why your exhaust isn't so loud anymore. That would be my best guess.

Cardomain|Myspace

Thursday, February 24, 2005 5:47 PM
Ok update, tonight me and my dad pulled the plugs, everything seemed fine (no pieces broken) only thing was the 4th plug's gap was screwed up, way too big. I put the old delcos that came with the S/C kit back in. We also flushed the tranny fluid, replaced the gasket/refilled it. Cant really tell if i fixed any of my probs yet since theres alot of snow on the ground.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search