tire inflation question. - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
tire inflation question.
Wednesday, February 23, 2005 9:19 AM
I was reading on my door jab, about tire inflation PSI. What i dont understand is the sentance that reads "Add 4psi when cold" or somehtign to that eftect.

Does that mean to add 4 extra psi to the listed value's when the tires are cold? or whe its cold outside? or .....

Ryan1

Re: tire inflation question.
Wednesday, February 23, 2005 9:52 AM
There's cold and hot tire pressure. It's talking about the temperature of the tire, not the weather. After driving, the air inside your tires will have warmed up and will read a different PSI than if they were cold.

Rob

Sold 2/2/05
Saturday, February 26, 2005 7:03 AM
OK, so how would I know if the tire has warmed up?

Also, I can understand that if i keep my tires at 30PSI and I'm reading 34PSI then I know that the tires are warm. However say i have a leak and the tire cold is 27PSI but when i read it it says 31PSI. How am i supposed to know there is a leak? After seeing tis reading I would think that maybe my tire's weren't as warm when infact they were and assume that tire pressure was ok.

Any advice?

Ryan1

Saturday, February 26, 2005 11:06 AM
if you have driven for several miles at a decent speed then your tires are "warmed up".

Join verbalwarfare.com

http://www.verbalwarfare.com/forum.php?referrerid=86

Saturday, February 26, 2005 5:05 PM
Ryan1 wrote:OK, so how would I know if the tire has warmed up?

Also, I can understand that if i keep my tires at 30PSI and I'm reading 34PSI then I know that the tires are warm. However say i have a leak and the tire cold is 27PSI but when i read it it says 31PSI. How am i supposed to know there is a leak? After seeing tis reading I would think that maybe my tire's weren't as warm when infact they were and assume that tire pressure was ok.

Any advice?

I would jack the car up and take the wheel that you think has a leak and get a bucket of soap and water and pour it all over the tire and look and listen for bubble sizzling.....If its a big whole, more than likely you're tire has just deflated but you'll hear a noise and bubble sizzling if there is a small leak. I keep all my tires at 35 psi.

"In the beginning, each car is a blank canvas and possibilites are endless..."
Monday, February 28, 2005 7:24 AM
Ryan1 wrote:OK, so how would I know if the tire has warmed up?

I always take my readings after the car has sat overnight... that way I KNOW that it will be an accurate cold reading lol

Rob

Sold 2/2/05
Monday, February 28, 2005 3:46 PM
Most of the time if you have a leak you can look closely and see the screw or nail in the tread. A plugging kit is under 10 bucks and will pay for itself the first time you use it. A plug will be fine unless you plan to drive the car at high speeds, then it's not recommended.

God bless America.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search