Check ENGINE LIGHT!!!!!!!!!! HELP - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Check ENGINE LIGHT!!!!!!!!!! HELP
Friday, February 25, 2005 8:26 PM
I was just drving down the road aobut 20 minutes ago and all the sudden my check engine light comes on (never done this before) so i pull over turn the car off wait a few minutes and turn it back on. The light is still on so i drive it on to my house and park it leave it there for a few mintes pop the hood to see whats going on. I hear a funny clicking sound (may have been there before never really payed attention) but i turned the car back on the engine light is still on. however i didnt notice any change whatsoever in the way the car drove. Can SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE Is it A problem?????

http://blitzedj.proboards45.com/index.cgi

Re: Check ENGINE LIGHT!!!!!!!!!! HELP
Friday, February 25, 2005 8:26 PM
^^^ BTW the car is a 2002 2200 SFI engine with 29,000 miles on it.

Friday, February 25, 2005 8:27 PM
bring it to autozone or somewhere to get scanned, then come back here with the code number
Friday, February 25, 2005 8:35 PM
OK but any idea what it may be just some suggestions????

Friday, February 25, 2005 8:51 PM
Here are some possible problems when the CEL comes on (there are tons, these are the most common):

• gas cap not fully on (take it off and put it back on ensuring it clicks)
  • gas cap is no longer sealing properly (therefore you would need a new cap)
  • one of the two O2 sensors is shot and needs to be replaced
  • the gas evaporation system is faulty (this is usually the gas cap thing again)
  • tons of other little sensors/emmision things
Just don't panic too much. Get it scanned and follow up accordingly. 99% of the things that will throw a code will not really harm your car. I remember how worried I was the first time my CEL came on but then I did a little reading and came back to earth. Chances are the ticking sound you hear was always there but you didn't notice it until you got panicked.

"I count him braver who overcomes his
desires than him who conquers his enemies.
For the hardest victory is the victory over self."
- Aristotle

Friday, February 25, 2005 8:58 PM
^^^ yeah man thanks alot oyu really calmed me down. I was Freakin out big time. LOL

Friday, February 25, 2005 9:04 PM
if it seems to run fine its probably just a sensor. i had a problem like that where my cel would come on out of no where. turned out to be one of the wires going to ect sensor broke.

Friday, February 25, 2005 9:10 PM
BlitzedJ wrote:^^^ yeah man thanks alot oyu really calmed me down. I was Freakin out big time. LOL

No problem man, I know the feeling all too well. The first time it happened to me I acted like the engine was about to seize... Oh well, live and learn!

Best of luck figuring it out.

"I count him braver who overcomes his
desires than him who conquers his enemies.
For the hardest victory is the victory over self."
- Aristotle

Friday, February 25, 2005 9:59 PM
Any performance loss at all? if not i fixed the same problem today. I had 3 codes pulled, AIT sensor was bad in the intake tube, then there was an evap code, thougth it was gas cap, but turns out, it was that one sensor tripping 3 codes. went to the zone, they scanned it, i grabbed the sensor from them, popped my hood in the lot, switched them out, cleared teh codes and no more CEL light. dont worry, i was freaking out too.

Friday, February 25, 2005 10:08 PM
Yeah, I bought my cavalier with about 20k on the odometer. About 10k later the CEL came on, so I changed out the O2 sensor on the header.. the light went away for about 10k then came on again, so I changed out both O2 sensors. Went off then came back in about a week. I took it to Autozone to get it scanned. The guy said it was an EVAP code. He said it was either a vacuum hose or my gas cap was loose. So I retightened the gas cap and it still is on. I was told a screwed up vacuum hose would cause your car to drive real rough etc and mine runs as smooth as the day I bought it, 60k miles ago. So buy a new gas cap and see what happens

Friday, February 25, 2005 10:23 PM
so what was the code?

Friday, February 25, 2005 10:36 PM
Quick questions, if code P0130 (O2 sensor circuit malfunctioned, bank 1 sensor 1).......that is the 02 sensor before the catalytic converter right?

I've replaced that sucker twice and I still keep getting that same code.......

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search