99 Sunfire GT won't start - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
99 Sunfire GT won't start
Saturday, February 26, 2005 9:47 AM
I have a 99 Gt and it has been hesitating to start for the past week. I went to start it this morning and it won't turn. Finally after 3 tries it turned on then shut off. I think it is the starter, but don't know where it is located on the car and don't know how to take it off. I tried to search for this but could not find anything relevent. Please help

Melsunfire@aol.com

Re: 99 Sunfire GT won't start
Saturday, February 26, 2005 10:33 AM
Hi Melissa,

Sounds to me like you may have a fuel pump issue or something else with the fuel line. Typically if it was your starter, it wouldn't really be hesitating. If you can hear your starter trying to turn the car over than you can probably rule that out. I would check your fuel pump relay as it may have went bad and isn't allowing fuel to get to your injectors.

Other than that, it could be a pinched fuel line somewhere or the alternator has been slowly going and now isn't charging properly. Your starter is under where the alternator is. Locate your alternator and then look straight down at the pulley near the bottom of your engine (just follow the belt) and you will see where your starter is.

Again, it doesn't sound like a starter issue. Let us know if any of the things I mentioned helped.

"I count him braver who overcomes his
desires than him who conquers his enemies.
For the hardest victory is the victory over self."
- Aristotle

Saturday, February 26, 2005 10:37 AM
I don;t know if it is the fuel line because the car won't even turn over now. When i turn the ignition it will click. Does anyone have an engine diagram or a how to for the starter. I would like to take it off and get it tested.

Thanks

Melsunfire@aol.com
Saturday, February 26, 2005 11:09 AM
id check your battery.

when starters go bad, they with spin when starting instead of moving the flywheel.

the starter should be in the bottom of your engine right by the flywheel. take out two bolts and a wire (usually) and your good.

but id check your battery.

superhero, it it was a fuel problem (might be a part of it but not the main part) it would crank and crank and nothing would happen.

-Borsty
Saturday, February 26, 2005 11:43 AM
Lol, superhero? I like it!

And yeah, you're right to a point, it's probably not only the fuel delivery but I've seen similar problems that related to the fuel. All in all, I agree with Borsty, check you're battery. Recently my battery started causing me problems too. I would start it a couple of time without driving it and then try and start it again and it just wouldn't turn over because the battery was losing it's ability to hold a strong charge.

A battery change later and my car's all better.

- Aristotle

Saturday, February 26, 2005 11:54 AM
OK so heres another question. How can i find out what kind of engine i have. I had my engine replaced by a dealership and I think they said it was replaced with a grandam engine. They look similar because by boyfriend has a 96 GT but then again i don't know

Melsunfire@aol.com
Saturday, February 26, 2005 12:52 PM
If it says 2.4L on the top of the engine cover, then you have the same engine as the rest of the GT's and Z's from the same year. There is no difference between the 2.4L that is in the various GM cars. Basically any part you have on your car from the replacement engine should be the same as would have normally been on there.

- Aristotle

Saturday, February 26, 2005 6:44 PM
lol^ sorry i looked quicky at your name heh.

Melissa Alderton wrote:OK so heres another question. How can i find out what kind of engine i have. I had my engine replaced by a dealership and I think they said it was replaced with a grandam engine. They look similar because by boyfriend has a 96 GT but then again i don't know

yes, grand ams came with the 2.4 tc same as cavalier z24's and sunfire gt's

-Borsty
Saturday, February 26, 2005 7:40 PM
Would a clogged fuel filter cause this? A weak battery would try to start it a couple of times and then it would die and nothing would happen after that. If it's the alternator you'll know pretty quick , cuz you car will run for about 20-30 minutes on just the battery then die.
Sunday, February 27, 2005 5:32 PM
newtuner wrote:Would a clogged fuel filter cause this? A weak battery would try to start it a couple of times and then it would die and nothing would happen after that. If it's the alternator you'll know pretty quick , cuz you car will run for about 20-30 minutes on just the battery then die.

if your battery is weak, then it should be replaced, and if the fuel filter was clogged then it would crank and crank and not start (same with any fuel problem.) or possibly spark.

ive ran my car for like day and a half with a beat alternator. just dont use any electronics. engine doesnt need much to make spark. and lights would kill it very quick.

-Borsty
Sunday, February 27, 2005 8:34 PM
Ya I had my stereo going and it was early in the morning so the headlights were going too.

Monday, February 28, 2005 7:28 AM
Melissa Alderton wrote:When i turn the ignition it will click

Yeah dead batteries will sometimes just click.. and if they're really dead you will get nothing.

Rob

Sold 2/2/05
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search