1999 Sunfire, makes Whining noise at startup. Help - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
1999 Sunfire, makes Whining noise at startup. Help
Sunday, February 27, 2005 7:28 AM
My 1999 Pontiac Sunfire (5-speed Manual) makes this loud high pitched "whining" noise every time I start up the car in the morning.
I think this noise is related to the fact that it is -10 degrees outside and the car has been sitting on the driveway overnight. I notice that after the car is warm this noise is less frequent.

Re: 1999 Sunfire, makes Whining noise at startup. Help
Sunday, February 27, 2005 5:23 PM
something with the belt driven accesories most likey. sqeauling idler pulley or something to that respect. lube up a few of the accesories and tell us what happens.

-Borsty
Monday, March 07, 2005 7:52 PM
I am having a problem similar to that...I think it started out as the idler pulley but now I think something in the tranny is doing it as well. Cuz the whining noise gets louder as the rpm's go higher. When I sat in the passenger seat one time and let my friend drive, I could definitely hear the noise coming louder from the left side of the car. My car is a 99 cavy with the 2.4 motor. If the problem was the tranny, what could make it have that whining noise?
Tuesday, March 08, 2005 4:35 PM
first things prob to check all accesories belt driven, also check your battery voltage. it could be a bad battery causing the alt. to charge at max on start up which would cause i high pitch whining noise
Tuesday, March 08, 2005 4:57 PM
It has been about 2 weeks since I posted this message and the "whining" noise has stopped since then. This is very strange because I expected that it could be some of the belt accessories; just from the sounds of the engine.

I originally thought that it could be the freezing temperatures ( -15 C (5 F) London, Ontario, Canada), lately the weather has been around 0 C (32 F) and the noise has seem to of disappeared. The car makes no more noise at startup!

Does the temperature have any sort of affect, or is this simply coincidental?
Tuesday, March 08, 2005 5:14 PM
Larry F wrote:It has been about 2 weeks since I posted this message and the "whining" noise has stopped since then. This is very strange because I expected that it could be some of the belt accessories; just from the sounds of the engine.

I originally thought that it could be the freezing temperatures ( -15 C (5 F) London, Ontario, Canada), lately the weather has been around 0 C (32 F) and the noise has seem to of disappeared. The car makes no more noise at startup!

Does the temperature have any sort of affect, or is this simply coincidental?

Temperature will effect the belt and tensors, also it may get worse with RPM and engine load, it is probably not your tranny Justin Whiteker

1979 Impala Sport Coupe Aeroback
Tuesday, March 08, 2005 7:12 PM
i'd go with a low battery..from the cold weather a nights causes the cca's to drop..thus needing to be charged, alt. is cold and charges at max
Tuesday, March 08, 2005 7:15 PM
starting your car in the morning won't discharge your battery enough to make your alternator sing. I live in Michigan and drive a V8 and I never discharge from starting.

1979 Impala Sport Coupe Aeroback
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search