Reusable vs. Disposable Air Filter Elements .. .. - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Reusable vs. Disposable Air Filter Elements .. ..
Sunday, February 27, 2005 12:38 PM
I love the giant sucking sounds from the 4 carburetors on my souped-up

1996 Yamaha Royal Star. And, I run K&N air filters.

BUT, that's a sports vehicle....

For an every-day vehicle where longivity is more important, those factory

airboxes with pleated paper filters cut down airflow but work best...

On BOBISTHEPOILGUY I see where there's a switch back to the disposable

filters....

Here is a discussion ...http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=000351;p=1#000004

Re: Reusable vs. Disposable Air Filter Elements .. ..
Sunday, February 27, 2005 5:21 PM
well you see, youll notice a difference whenever changing to a new air filter. the new one is completely clean, the k&n or any other undisposable filter, will get dirty but takes longer, so youll notice a difference with a paper one, but thats because it has yet to get dirty.

-Borsty
Re: Reusable vs. Disposable Air Filter Elements .. ..
Sunday, February 27, 2005 5:36 PM
I switched over to K&N on my '90 Safari Van and immediately my average fuel consumption improved by 2mpg and stayed there (up from 21 to 23 mpg).

When I did the same in my '96 Cavalier I didn't notice a change, however, I figured that the smaller engine pulls less air and the restriction would be less noticeable anyway. I also installed the filter toward fall, so my fuel efficiency stayed the same instead of dropping as it usually does with denser colder winter air. The engine seemed more peppy, but that could have also been the colder, dryer air as well (higher dissolved oxygen content). I didn't buy the cone intake (I think those would pick up too much crap and moisture from the highway, especially in the winter) just the filter replacement.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search