My car sounds like a tornado - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
My car sounds like a tornado
Friday, February 25, 2005 7:06 AM
In the last couple of weeks my car has started making this "whurrrr " noise. It sounds like wind blowing through a small opening. I guess it's kind of hard to describe. It used to only make this noise when it was really cold outside (-20 C or below) but lately it's been doing it in warmer weather too. It stops making this noise at apox 2200 RPM, it's the loudest at 1800 and it still does it at idle. I was thinking it may be a loose belt but there are no squeeking noises or anything like that. I tired putting in a louder stereo but that didn't fix it .Anybody else have this trouble or know what to look for? Thanks.

By the way, it's a 97 2.2 L 5 speed .

Longevity is not acheived through mediocrity

Re: My car sounds like a tornado
Friday, February 25, 2005 8:50 AM
yeah my car made a whirl noise right before I had to replace the entire tranny. I hope to God your whirl is something else .

---

Saturday, February 26, 2005 12:12 PM
Was it making it all the time or just at low RPM's? Is this something that I can prevent by getting it checked out now, it is it just gonna go and be the end of it?
Saturday, February 26, 2005 5:22 PM
Any cracks in your exhaust manifold? Or a crack or hold in the exaust pipe? Maybe its an exhaust or intake leak somewhere?
Saturday, February 26, 2005 7:22 PM
joey k wrote:Any cracks in your exhaust manifold? Or a crack or hold in the exaust pipe? Maybe its an exhaust or intake leak somewhere?

that would make a noise the whole time, and exhast leaks usually happen from like 2000-redline, not the other way around

-Borsty
Sunday, February 27, 2005 9:32 AM
Borsty wrote:
joey k wrote:Any cracks in your exhaust manifold? Or a crack or hold in the exaust pipe? Maybe its an exhaust or intake leak somewhere?

that would make a noise the whole time, and exhast leaks usually happen from like 2000-redline, not the other way around

Could it be that the air filter is loose. The air is rushing around it at low RPM's because it's not sucking in as hard. Then as the engine speeds up it sucks harder and closes the gas. Does this make sense or am I talking out of my @$$ ?
Sunday, February 27, 2005 5:26 PM
^doubt it, b4 it would take like 5 seconds to fix, so try it out.

and to edit my previous statment "u can only HEAR exhast leaks from 2000-reline usually." sorry bout any confusion.

-Borsty
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search