My power steering just went out on me. - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
My power steering just went out on me.
Monday, February 28, 2005 7:25 PM
My power steering just went out on me today while I was hooking left. As I came out of the turn the power steering just went out on me. Does anyone have any idea as to what it could be. I did a search but all I could come up with is the power steering pump. I have an Idea on how to replace it. Does anyone know how much it would coast. Well thanks again for all your help.

FRIENDS DONT LET FRIENDS DRIVE IMPORTS!!

Re: My power steering just went out on me.
Monday, February 28, 2005 7:53 PM
There was a recall about this, something about the power steering rack, if the recall affects your car, the dealer will replace your entire rack for free.

I don't think 2000 was part of the recall though. My sister's 2000 does exactly the same thing, its either the rack or the pump.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Monday, February 28, 2005 8:20 PM
its probably your power steering shaft that broke. mine did so a while ago. its very easy to change. the hardest part is removing the fluid lines. its a simple bolt off and and bolt on. you will have to remove the broken piece from the cam with a magnet. that is all.

Peace Out!!!
Monday, February 28, 2005 10:18 PM
I guess I'll take it into the deal and find out what the heck is wrong with it.

Monday, February 28, 2005 10:42 PM
duuuuude, do it yourself. its EXTREMELY easy to swap it out. took me like 30 mins and i had never done one before. i was in a hurry so it shouldnt take more than an hour if you take your time.

1 Disconnect your fluid lines and drain into a small container or bag.
2 Unbolt the pump and remove it.
3 Use any magnet available to remove the small broken piece from the cam.
4 Bolt on the replacement pump.
5 Reinstall your fluid lines and add power steering fluid.
6 Start the car and turn your wheels all the way to the right and then all the way to the left repeatedly. Do this until you see no more bubbles in the power steering fluid.

Peace Out!!!
Monday, February 28, 2005 11:11 PM
yeah it's very easy. just make sure that you fill the pump and run the engine turning the wheel from lock to lock and shut off the engine and suck the fluid out and refill with new do this until the fluid is looking like new. it is just insurance. because you never know if you have some junk in the lines or the rack after the pump broke.

see ya!

Tuesday, March 01, 2005 10:38 AM
how much are we talking about

Tuesday, March 01, 2005 12:05 PM
its most likely that the drive shaft broke. its designed to break so the internal components of the pump dont do so, and then messed up even more stuff. the pump should be about $150 or less at your autoparts store.

Peace Out!!!
Wednesday, March 02, 2005 7:48 PM
So when I call up the auto parts store tomorrow to make sure the part is in stock. what is it that i'm asking for. Is it the Pump or the drive shaft or does it all come in package. Thanks again guys.

Wednesday, March 02, 2005 7:52 PM
ask for the POWER STEERING PUMP. its all in one. its not repairable by the end user, unfortunately.

Peace Out!!!
Thursday, March 03, 2005 8:16 PM
YOU GUYS ARE AWSOME!!! AS ALWAYS THANKS!!!!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search