starter motor install - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
starter motor install
Sunday, February 27, 2005 5:42 PM
hey guys, i need your help

i have a 1995 cavalier 2.2 and i just put in a new starter motor today. When i started the car to test it, it made this squeeking sound while it was starting and then once the vehicle was running the squeeking was still their but only not as loud.

could anyone suggest what i might have done wrong? I've been told that you might have to align the starter motor to the fly wheel but there was no shims or anything like that when i took off the old one. ?

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions

Re: starter motor install
Sunday, February 27, 2005 7:47 PM
werid, i was goin to say shims, but u have any.

hhmmmm....... maybe a bad starter? (i mean the new one) new parts are defective sometimes.

-Borsty
Monday, February 28, 2005 10:10 AM
i got it. thanks for your help though. Turns out it did need a couple of shims. They were extra though and didnt come with the starter motor.
Monday, February 28, 2005 1:21 PM
shims needed on a part??

never heard of it, is that common with starters, and are shims what im thinking? like a wedge shaped piece of material. thanks

keith-
Monday, February 28, 2005 3:40 PM
I have seen the shims at Advance Auto Parts in the "Help" packs in the misc. parts section.

God bless America.
Monday, February 28, 2005 6:13 PM
hmm.. yah.. I did an a starter on a 95 last week and on the starter it said "no shims" so I guess if it doesn't say no shims, you'll need um.
Monday, February 28, 2005 9:38 PM
Starter drives (the forward part with the gear) are made by several companies.

Rebuilders use different ones, and sometimes they are too long.

Shims will pull the entire starter assembly away from the flywheel to compensate.

Flat washers are sometimes used instead of shims.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search